Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2003, 12:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Uhhhh White LR spreading...Help Please

Hello all about a week and a half ago regarding live Rock turning white at the time I had a little white but had kinda just attributed it to Die off. Problem is it's spreading, fast.. Literally every day when I turn on the light more and more of it is white.. The whole thing checks out am nitrate nitrite ph wise.. I am really getting concerned.. At first it was just like a film covering the rock but that it gone and now the rock itself it just turning white.. I am really getting scared...The only thing that seems to be thriving in my tank is algea which has moved onto the glass and it literally covering my whole tank sand rock glass the whole nine, but that is another post.. Funny enought the only reason I can see the white is because the algae won't even grow on it..Ahhh very scared...do I need to add calcium, alk(no Idea what it is or what to do with it) Just I am really having problems with the rock...It is a good thing I listened to you guys and have no fish however my 1 emerald crab is in his glory.. Stupid snials can't keep up with the algae.. Is is mabye too much light?? I have the lights blue and white on from about 6pm-1130pm everynight trying to keep the algea down (which is not working) but the room you know is lit up all day so it's only actually dark for about 6 hrs in there.. Or is it not enough light??Please help..

Thanks
DoanHello all I saw a pos

Old 12-15-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low alkalinity seems to be what people are saying about that.

Using Seachem Reef Advantage and Seachem Reef Builder in all of your topoff water, alternating products each time, might get you back to within your desired levels

Also be sure to use RO/DI water

Here's some links that might help

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopi...fe9c8215f74e26

http://saltaquarium.about.com/blqalrturningwht.htm

Old 12-15-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks I will pick up some after work.. What do you think I would need Seachem Reef Advantage and SeaChem Reef Builder??

Thanks

Doan
Old 12-15-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do this:

Reef advantage calcium
Reef Builder

ALternate these in your topoff water. For instance when your water gets low, top off with reef advantage calcium added to your topoff water, then the next time it gets low, topoff with reef builder added to your topoff water, repeat.

Twice a week add one capful per 20 gals of these:

SeaChem Reef Plus
SeaChem Reef Complete
SeChem Reef Calcium

ALso you could do 10% water changes weekly to build up the minerals in your tank. The new synthetic saltwater will do this.

THese guys on this forum will tell you to check levels before you dose and I do not disagree with that one teeny bit, but this formula is just one that GARF uses on all tanks and it should be pretty safe while you are getting the hang of checking levels and stuff.

Just my 2cents.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I have a shopping list for tonight thank you very much snapcrackler..

Doan
Old 12-15-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Nuisance algae is really not about Light. They thrive in low light as well. I will cultivate the good algae and turn the light back to the normal. I had diatoms problem 2 months ago and the 1st thing I did is to shorten the light period and it does not help. Then I do the reverse such that I extend my light period 12hrs and my Corraline Algae began to thrive. Within 3 weeks, my diatoms problem goes away and my Macro Algae is thriving. The reasoning behind is that the good algae will fight for the nutrient and starve the bad algae.

Buying more cured LR with good algae will also help. As for the white stuffs on the LR, I got no idea.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How old is your tank? I would hesitate to add either of the products mentioned unless you have tested your water and have found a problem with calcium or alk. Otherwise, you could do much more damage than good.

Is the live rock new? Are the areas that are now white, were they formerly colored (purple, red, etc.)? It sounds to me like the rock could simply be bleaching which could be caused by a variety of things.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
cj10488

Quote:
How old is your tank? I would hesitate to add either of the products mentioned unless you have tested your water and have found a problem with calcium or alk. Otherwise, you could do much more damage than good.
I agree I would not add anything unless you test first and an hour or so later.. Never add anything you are not testing for..

LR can alot of the time bleech when it is new.. or possible when there is not enough light on it.. If you are cycling with the lights off that could be the reason.. Aslo if you are cycling then that could be the issue as well..

HTH<
James
Old 12-15-2003, 05:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah, I put the cart before the horse there but all of those supplements are IMO needed anyway, sorry my bad. You should always test before you dose, I agree. You don't want to get into some ionic imbalance situation because that could be hard to correct. But with that supplement scedule it would take a while to "mess anything up" I was thinking.

I was also thinking that the supplemental schedule would be good to start with and then adjust accordingly. I was upside down on that.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 PM   #10
steve-s

I would also add that these products if needed are also better dosed within the same day rather than seperate days. It will cause less problems in future with unbalaced chemistry. Reef builder being an alkalinity product would best be dosed in the early AM just before or near when the light come on and the Advantage calcium later in the day. When done like this, one will have less impact on the other as they are added.

When doing on seperate days, it gives time for the chems to fall off a bit allowing the newer addition to force down the other.

Hope that made sense...

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com