Uncured ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vettin2nite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just talked to Rob at Premium Aquatics. he's got Fiji in large pieces for my 125 but its uncured. How bad will the smell be since the tank's in our liv. room? And will i need a skimmer from day one? I'm dyin to get my tank cycled so any opinion will be appreciated. We plan on drivin to Indy and pickin up 100 lbs. so it will only be out of water for around 2 hours....Thanks, Bob

I have cured LR before, and the smell was not bad at all. I would use the skimmer for curing. You will get lots of crud from the skimmer, but it only means things are working.

The smell is very subject to your individual noise. Some will say they cured live rock in their tank and smelled nothing where as others will tell you it kept them out of the room for weeks.

The thing to do is to cure the rock in a location where smell wont be that big of a deal. In your garage if you have one that is somewhat heated given its winter. All you will need for that is a 30 gal plastic trashcan that holds water. 15 gal or so of saltwater with a few powerheads and a heater in the trashcan. Add the uncured rock and let it cure in the trash can. Reference our articles area on detailed description on how to cure live rock this way.

i had 10 lbs of cured rock (some die off from shipping though) curing in my liv room and it smelt a little. but only right around it. ive never used a skimmer while curing. some will say yes so you can get it broken in. up to u i spose. :D

Back
Top Bottom