Uncured liverock in new set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ATLien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is putting uncured liverock in a new tank the best way to cycle the tank before livestock is added?

Would it be beneficial to add the live sand before,after, or with the uncured rock to help out with the cycling of the tank and the curing of the rock?

Is putting uncured liverock in a new tank the best way to cycle the tank before livestock is added?

IMO, yes.

Would it be beneficial to add the live sand before,after, or with the uncured rock to help out with the cycling of the tank and the curing of the rock?

I would add the LIVE sand after the rock has been completely cured to preserve any life in the sand. I would add the dry sand (which should make up the majority of your sand bed...before.

No, the die off from the uncured rock would raise ammonia levels to the toxic range and kill what is in your tank now. You should cure the rock in a seperate container.

Is it true that there is a ban on the sale of Fiji liverock and sand :?:

If you search Fiji here you should turn up a postabout this that has some very detailed information in it that I posted last week. Its not a ban yet.

curing your own in a new tank is good but keep tank in dark as much as posible to keep algae down and you need a good skimmer and a lot of salt for big water changes ohh be prepared for a bad smell taking over your house my other half nearly left me coz of it lol.But it was worth it because it looks stunning now nearly forgot the smell is how you know when it's cured

Back
Top Bottom