Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2004, 11:34 PM   #31
steve-s

Let's not turn a constructive discussion into a locked thread

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-26-2004, 07:07 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No way, lets rumble. Ford rocks and Chevy sucks WOOOOOO!

But really, research the different options and choose the method you like. Regardless of the choice, everyone here will try to make it as healthy as possible.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:57 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let me also state that while a protein skimmer is by no means a critically necessary item...it will improve your water quality and make normal maintenance easier.
Have you ever been to the beach, and seen a large glob of frothy bubbles washed up on shore? It almost looks like the head on a dark beer (mmmmm....Guinness.....)

Well that's the ocean's natural protein skimming. The waves crash upon the rocks and reef, creating tiny bubbles. These bubbles attract certain particles which muck up the water. When the wave crashes onto the shore, the bubbles break and the gunk gets deposited on the sand. That's just how a mechanical skimmer works...it removes organic compounds your eye cannot see, and puts them into a collection cup. What you end up with is a slightly thick, coffee colored liquid, which smells aweful. Once you try a skimmer and see what it removes, you'll be sold on the idea of using one.
If you decide to use a skimmer, you don't need one right away, and please do NOT buy a Prizm skimmer...these are junk.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:52 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

I should clarify my statements. I did not mean to imply that skimmers, sumps, refugiums etc weren't useful or beneficial. They most certainly are. They have proven benefits for your aquarium system. My points were that they simply aren't a "must have". I do plan on eventually revamping my 55 some day to include a sump with refugium and a skimmer... but my tank is doing just fine without it so far and I view these other systems, IMO, as added security.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:04 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only reason you should not use LR is the price. There is nothing wrong with a UGF, It is just that LR requires less maintenance, does not breakdown easily, and is pretty. The truth is a well maintained UGF on a small marine tank is a perfectly fine inexpensive way to start.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Though I don't recommend going with UGF and LR. Why? UGF relies on being able to circulate thru the entire sand bed. LR will block the 'vents' in the UGF plate, forming dead zones in the sand bed.
So its an 'either/or' situation...rather than 'both' when it comes to UGF and LR.

Also, in case it wasn't already mentioned in this thread, you don't have to go with all LR. You can buy 1/10th of your total rock as actual live rock...and the rest can be dead/base rock, which is usually very very cheap. The live rock will seed the dead rock with coralline and bacteria, but your initial cycle will probably take longer and you'll wanna be little more cautious when stocking (just watching for ammonia spikes). The major downside to using less live rock is fewer cool hitchhikers...then again you have a reduced risk of getting a mantis shrimp.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:15 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

To the original poster...

Opinions are like... bellybuttons. Everybody has one.

We have a dozen LFS here in Portland. Most are great guys who have been working in "the biz" for 20 or 30 yrs. One guy says you only need 3x tank turnover for all corals. One guy says you only need 2watts per gallon for anything. One guy says only use cured rock, the next guy says never use cured rock. One guy says never run a heater and let your lights work in the day, and let the tank cool at night. One guy likes wet drys and hates DSBs. One guy told me to cycle my tank with Percs. etc. etc. etc.

Many of them have STUNNING show tanks. Many of them maintain tanks for businesses around town.

Bottom line - do as much research as you can stand to do if you are concerned about the welfare of your fish. Make the best decision based on yours and your tanks needs. Don't sweat it, or take it personally if someone else has a different way.

Remember anyone who can type can get online. You don't even need to know how to spell...

HTH,

Nate C
Old 10-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

What it sounds like to me is, this is some kid that does not really know anything, except that he wanted to start a huge uproar and you all fell right in his little trap! IMO use what ever you want. Who really cares if your fish die try some thing new! This forum is good but it is a joke at the same time! If you ask a small question then your fine but if you ask a more complicated one you can hang up getting any useable info because every one chimes in and all you get is confused and you end up buying what you want anyway so why waste your time? Now if you have a small question fine like the one posted on the blue star fish i got good info but just try to ask something like what is the best kind of filter!! This person will probably never be the same trying to figure out what way to go (poor guy/girl) :| :| :|
Old 10-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

actually i know quite a bit, but i was getting flustered being told ugfs suck and that everything else is better, basically i just wanted to know the reasons that ugfs are not spoken highly of in the reef tank scenario and some people gave me some good answers, so yea everyone has an opinion but i wanted to know why people thouhgt that way to since i havent done a reef tank and i dont wanna spend money if i dont have to, so its nothing like trying to cause an uproar, sorry if ive bothered you with my post,
Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 PM   #40
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyers18
IMO use what ever you want. Who really cares if your fish die try some thing new!
Great attitude

Quote:
This forum is good but it is a joke at the same time! If you ask a small question then your fine but if you ask a more complicated one you can hang up getting any useable info because every one chimes in and all you get is confused and you end up buying what you want anyway so why waste your time?
While this may be the same kind of post you accuse others of replying to I am going to respond not the less.

I find your attitude quite dismal and unhelpful to the community. If you are not satisfied with the answers you receive, that is not an issue for the members of this forum to pander to. Each and every person has a right to be heard as long as it is in a civilized manner. Insults to anyone or the forum as a whole are not accebtable.

If you ask a specific question you are likely to get a specific response, as with the sea star. When asking general questions you will get multiple and varying responses which will most likely always be the case.

If there was one "all perfect" piece of equipment or set up, there would only be one book or forum detailed with the directions. Since there is no such thing, we will continue to help those that seek it.

Regards
Steve

Tags
filter, filters, gravel, under gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com