Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2004, 02:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

under gravel filters? whats the problem?

OK, so whats the deal with everyone here ragging on undergravel filters and saying that they are no good for saltwater, Personally, i think they are great, i have two aquaclear 301 powerheads on my perfectoflo ugf and it kept my 55 sparkly clean and all my fish were just as healthy as all yours.

i took the same set up and put it in my 30 gal and its gonna be a reef tank, still in cycling, but my point is, its cheaper easier and jsut as effective as all your big sumps and huge elaborate protein skimmer / hob/sump/ canister / everything else, and its cheap and easy and with live sand or rock, or even without it works very well, so i dont understand why everyone is so against them. plus if you throw in a HOB then you can get all your mechanical filtration.

Why go through all the trouble of building these huge elaborate filtration, when its as simple as a UGF and a UGF does the same amount of work, i love it and dont see a problem with it, and just because people here say it isnt any good , i havent seen one valid reason why people shouldnt use them, but everyone here seems to turn new people away and to the more expensive routes, so please, somebody here give me some really good arguments against it, id like to know what the big deal is

Old 10-23-2004, 04:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long the ugf been running?
Norm a ugf will start to break down every approx 8-9 months. It will be a total and sudden break down. it happen to me twice, it happen so fast an suddne that lost 1/2 of my stock in both incident.

HTH

Old 10-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #3

ive had mine for like a year now, the ugf cant just break down, its powered by powerheads, so they would have to break down, and if thats the case its the powerheads your running, not the ugf/
Old 10-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The waste that gets trapped under the UGF is what over time will hurt the tank. Waste breaks down into nitrate. How do you clean under your filter?
What is your NO3 reading. NO3 tends to run higher with UGF from what I have read and learned from talking with people who have used them.
If the UGF works for you then thats great, most people think thats the Old School approach and tend to go with the LR/LS and sump method.
IMO this is the way to go because I have had great success with this method.
Different strokes for different folks.
I have guys in my reef club who have used the UGF w/ CC years ago and they like the lr/ls w/sump better. Are you using CC or LS? Easier to keep NO3 in check. Why are you so mad?? We are just passing on info and experiances and it seems most have not had good long term luck with the UGF.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had an ugf on a ten gallon fw tank. I thoght the idea was great too. I only had a few small fish in the tank and when I tore it town the amount of junk and crud under there was amazing. In a reef tank with live rock and sand and whatever else you have in there makes it very difficult to mantain an ugf. Myself I wouldn't want to tear my whole tank down to clean it. As far as the sump method if you take your time and have an old tank to use(garage salea are great for this) and you can make your own sump then really the only cost involved is your return pump and some plumbing. The sump is not only useful for filtration it adds more capacity to your main tank and can hide all the stuff(heater,skimmer,etc) so you don't see all that in your display tank. In a reef tank an ugf will not replace the skimmer anyway so you will need one.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BTW it is not just here that people bash ugf. Ask your lfs and see what they say. Check some other advice forums. There are some that like them but in my experience there are more people that don't like them.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The break down i mean is when the gravel become too dirty the system just breakdown. nothing to do with the powerhead. the gravel must properly clean.

just my $0.02
Old 10-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used to have a UGF, ran great for almost two years than my entire tank died suddenly. I heard they're fine if you maintain them well.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:42 PM   #9

well, i like it, i never noticed any garbage under it when i tore down my 55, and my local fish store is the one that turned me onto it, this guys is very smart,m hes been in the business for like 30 years or something and sets up huge salt/fresh tanks for businesses and stuff, he said it may be old school, but its still is a really good method for filtration and has never had any problems with it, with proper care and attention i dont see why it would crash, and i think that the same amount of care and attention is needed for any kind of filtration, its not exactly nature and we do have our parts in keeping up with it, so any way you go theres still work that needs to be done.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like fish
its not exactly nature
Not to be argumentative (ok maybe a little ), but what's unnatural about LR?

Tags
filter, filters, gravel, under gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com