Undergravel Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvarez

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told that UGF were old technology and bad for freshwater, however I found a few articles saying they were great for saltwater tanks...

Is this true? Or is a HOB still better... also would a powerhead still be needed if the UGF is ok?

http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium-undergravel-filters.html

For many saltwater fish tank setups an aquarium undergravel filter is the best choice. AquariumGuys recommends undergravel filters for use in saltwater, fish-only aquariums. Be sure to properly maintain your aquarium undergravel filter to prevent damage to your saltwater environment.

UGF was a fantastic choice, oh, back in the 1980s or earlier. The hobby/science has progressed far since then.

No one uses UGF anymore, it has way too many problems. The best filter in SW is lots of live rock + skimmer + a refugium with macro algae. The next best is live rock + skimmer, followed by live rock.

Thats what I thought. I was recently told by a guy who breeds cichlids that it was wrong and that UGF was the absolute best filter. He said it was superior to HOB and canister....

It caught me off guard completely... He runs a business setting up tanks for local businesses and sells bred cichlids to a lot of pet stores around the area.

UGF are very out-dated. The best choice is a LS bed, 1.5-2lbs per gal of LR and aggressive skimming. HOB/canisters/wet-drys will provide a place for mechanical filtration and chemical filtration if desired.

i have a friend who uses, loves, and has great success with her UGF...

everyone is different, and success is found in many places...

I myself went with sand and no UGF

If you went with an undergravel filter would you still need a powerhead to create current? Would the Sand go over the UGF and then the LR on top of that?

This is just curiousity really because I have not yet decided I am going to switch over my 56 gallon. I may just buy a 125 gallon and start new with the whole SW tank.

yes, an UGF is just another filtration method... one that is currently less popular then it has been in the past...

How does one go about setting up a LR filtration?
It is as simple as putting cured LR in the tank. 1.5-2lbs/gal.
What is required, besides the obvious LR, sand and skimmer?
That is a bout it. Add a couple of powerheads for circulation.

either that or have wicked flow :)

I have seen one that had a good 20-30x turn over and it was nice...

Yeah, general key to LR filtration is 1-2lbs of LR per gallon of tank space (many find 1.5lbs to be a good balance on filtration and aesthetics), and plenty of circulation...a very minimum of 10 times per hour turnover. For example, my 40gallon breeder uses 2 Maxijet 1200's, which are a 295gph turnover. 295x2=590 divide by 40 = 14.75 turnover per hour.
Add to this that I have a skimmer for a little flow, and a hang-on fuge for a tiny bit of flow, and that I sometimes run an AquaClear Mini HOB just to help remove surface scum, and it's just right.

Count powerheads and pumps, but not the skimmer because it just doesn't move much water.

20 x per hour isn't uncommon either.

As for UGF's...they do have their place in very specific setups...but generally speaking, they are out-dated in the SW applications.

Back
Top Bottom