Understanding sumps/return pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nijoe1221

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello reefers!

I've owned a few reef tanks and have had great success with them. But I've never had a sump! My problem is I just do not understand the plumbing behind it. Could anyone explain to me how the water falls into the sump and is returned to the display tank so perfectly without any overflowing?

How does the return pump not over flow the tank? Or what if it's not strong enough, and the sump overflows. Sorry if this is a stupid question....I literally just have no idea how it works.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sure someone here that has a little more knowledge could explain it better than I can , I am in the same boat as you and in the process of picking a couple pieces I am missing to build mine.

Plenty of videos on YouTube that might help you.

Basically the plumbing works like this: you set the water level in your display tank you set the water level in your sump you add a little extra for what will be in the plumbing you turn it on whatever water you return pump pushes out, simply goes down the overflow, there is never more water and one place than the other. Unless of course something blocks your plumbing like a snail or a clump of algae

Basically the plumbing works like this: you set the water level in your display tank you set the water level in your sump you add a little extra for what will be in the plumbing you turn it on whatever water you return pump pushes out, simply goes down the overflow, there is never more water and one place than the other. Unless of course something blocks your plumbing like a snail or a clump of algae

Wow so It literally is that simple. Thanks for that bit of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom