Unique inverts & nano fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got a 20 long reef that's been set up about 4 months now. I only have a bicolor blenny and a yellow rose goby at the moment (plus basic CUC), but I'm really into weird inverts and tiny fish! -oh, I do have a coco worm.
Here's my list of ideas, help me add to it!
-pistol shrimp
-sexy anemone shrimp
-porcelain crab
-Pom Pom crab
-lettuce sea slug
-yellow stripe Cardinal
-yellow watchman goby
-green war paint goby (second try? Had one and loved it, but it didn't eat, then died).
-Pygmy filefish
-Tanaka's Pygmy wrasse

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I should have clarified I don't want ALL those things, just trying to narrow it down to my favorites :)

Why stay away from the sea slug? Max size is 3"

That would make sense :/ if you didn't have enough algae. Maybe not on that one.

That would make sense :/ if you didn't have enough algae. Maybe not on that one.

the sea slugs are usually very specific on what they eat, they eat it all and die. sucks cause they are beautiful

I would suggest that you start a live phytoplankton culture. If you do that then you can keep an electric blue flame scallop. They are sweet, just look for them as small as you can since they don't have very long life spans. The phytoplankton would also give you a better chance of keeping your coco worm alive.

electric_flame_scallop.jpg

I wouldn't try to keep a difficult critter like a flame scallop of any type along with a coco worm. They will be consuming the same food source out of a small water column. The bought foods for this are all phosphates and can easily nuke the tank parameter wise and can kill such sensitive creatures. This ended up being the downfall of the coco worm in my tank when I had to work 6 days a week for several months, conditions worsened and it died off approaching it's second year in my tank.
I have since replaced it with a flame scallop, non-electric variety sadly.

Those look pretty cool! Not sure I'm cut out for that though haha. My coco worm seems to be doing great.

I wouldn't try to keep a difficult critter like a flame scallop of any type along with a coco worm. They will be consuming the same food source out of a small water column. The bought foods for this are all phosphates and can easily nuke the tank parameter wise and can kill such sensitive creatures. This ended up being the downfall of the coco worm in my tank when I had to work 6 days a week for several months, conditions worsened and it died off approaching it's second year in my tank.
I have since replaced it with a flame scallop, non-electric variety sadly.
Thats why I suggested the live phytoplankton culture. Unlike the bottled variety, it can be dosed without worrying about the phosphates and nitrites if it were dead. It can be dosed at will without affecting water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom