Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

up and running.

ok. all my equipment has came and i have it all up and running. 150watt HQI light, 3-600maxi jet power heads, 150watt heater
all seems to good to be true right? wrong ! well i got 3 maxi jet 600s with a wavemaker and i noticed that these 600's are not very powerfull. i think they might have been if they were all on at once but thier not. as 1 goes off one comes on and the one i have pointed at the surface i have on a 1 min on and 1 min off . i know some corals deppend on strong water current. my question is with this wave maker and these 3 power heads will i be fine? dont forget i do also have a HOB refuge thats is not on yet but will be when the water warms up and the live rock is placed in. thats going to most likey make the surface ripple right there.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks very nice Frogspawn. I think once you get your LR in there you`ll be OK. If push comes to shove just run the PH`s together. I think you`ll be OK. Cant wait to see the tank full of LR and Fish and corals. Most corals will need moderate flow. There are some the need high flow but you can deal with that when it comes.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i realy like the idea of the wavemaker. how could i make this work out? do i need to buy 3 900's instead. i can do that if needed to? or will that be too much? or mabey even 1200's since only 1 comes on at a time?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

This is only a 30 gallon tank right? Those 3 should be OK. I`ve never had a wavemaker so maybe others have a suggestion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I run 2 1200s for water movement and they are on 24/7. Also have another one powering a remora and a 900 powering the chiller. Great pumps, maybe you can exchange the 600's for a few 1200s or even 900's
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think those three 600s would be fine. You could always run two continuous, and just hook one up to the wave maker, or some combination like that. They all don't have to be alternating.

It's really hard to tell about flow until you get some rock in there, as well as fish and coral. When my tank was cycling, I had tons of flow. After I added my clown, I realized I had way too much flow and toned it down. Fish and corals are all happy now.

I'd wait until you get some rockwork in there and some inhabitants. It'll be easier to know what to do then. Plus you'll be moving those powerheads around every other day for a week anyway, so you might as well just put off getting your hands wet until then!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
That's why I had recommenced the 900 pumps but unfortunately your order for the 600 had already been placed.

I agree it's not really that much of an issue and if you plumb the Mag 7 or 9.5 to power your UV and fuge then the ph will probably not even be needed. Is the fuge (60+ lbs) supported in the back at all?

That might prove to be more difficult though since the fuge takes up so much room, I can't see any problem with doing it from the side though.

Are you sticking with the Bak-Pak skimmer?

Nice looking tank by the way Cute photo of your son too

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks. hes a hand full.
the refuge is supported by a 2x4, plus i have my backpac skimmer hanging on the refuge because i dont have anywhere to put it on the main tank. its not running yet till i get my mag9.5 should be in today or tomarrow I HOPE
is it ok to place the skimmer on the refuge? if not i have no where else to put it. the light tanks up most of the space on the top.
thanks again
Old 03-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since only one PH is on at a time 900 or may be even 1200's would be better. Flow is just as important , if not more, as light for corals. Random, turbulent flow is best. When you get the Mag up and running you'll know better how the flow is behaving.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The skimmer would do better on the main tank but it still should skim on the fuge.

I thought the Wavemaster pro alternated between the 1st and 2nd PH with the 3rd one set more random.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com