Update 29 G starded on may 19 /2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaboke

Aquarium Advice Regular
still in the cycling process but I'm coming close my readings so far are
temp 78
PH 8.2
salinity 1.023
calcium 320 ( still to low )
dkh 12
amm. 0 (comes from 8 )
nitrite 0.50 ( comes from 5)
nitrate 20
Phosp 0

after my cycle is done and I have a couple days O readings I would like to add the folowing clean up crew
Trochus snail 8
super tonga nassarius 6
cerrith snail 12
scarlet reef hermit 10
astraea conehead 8

skunk cleaner schrimp 2

what do you think about this ??
can I add my shrimp at the same time as the clean up crew or 1 or 2 weeks later
also after my cycle ( I have a HOB filter cycling with my tank )I want to go ahead and have 1 percula clown in Quarintine for 6 weeks that is a must have fish and probably the only fish for a couple months
I really want to add some riccordia and some zoos to my tank First

What do you think of my plan so far please comment and give some advice I still have a lot to learn

kaboke
:lol:

Sounds good. :)

My only advice, which other opinions are sure to vary on, would be to ditch the hermits. I get so annoyed with them because they knock all of my corals over and love to eat the snails for their shells.

Also, perhaps look into a pair of clowns? Better to add them together than seperatley, just something to think about.

After your tank reads consistent 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 10-20 nitrate you are good to go. You can really add anything after that. A coral or so if you want, and your clean up crew.

Oh, and umm....pictures. :) Lots of 'em.

with a pair do you mean male and female or just 2 clownfish of the same species

Kaboke

34 snails to start off with is kind of high IMO even with 45 lbs of lr for a 29 gal. IME 1 snail per 2 gal is nearly a perfect balance between having just enough to clean and too many and them starving to death.

I love hermits personally but some do have issues with them when they get larger. 10 is plenty for a 29 gal.

Make sure you drip acclimate them for 2+ hours before adding to the main.

Well only if you wanted a pair, I'd get them together. Generally you can't tell what gender they are, you just buy them together and let the genders "form" on their own (all clownfish are born gender neutral).

34 snails? Yes I agree that's a bit much, lol. You can probably ditch the cerith snails for now, IMO.

I would ditch the astreas as they fall over and you will have to manually flip them back over. I agree on the hermits, I'm not a big fan. I do like them (kind of...lol) and only have 3 in my 55. Make sure you get some extra shells for them to move into as they grow.

thanks for the reply's so what do you think about this

strochus snail 4
super tongan nassarius 6
cerrith snail 4
scarlet hermit or zebra hermit 5
thas that sound better
I learnd something new I did't now that about the clowns thank you for sharing

Kaboke

ok tested again today (I now am little bit of a freak )

Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 10
all the other parameters same as in the beginning of the tread
Tomorow 25 % waterchange
now for my clean up crew I have to order them online
so how do I keep my good bacteries is that the same as freshwater and just pinch a little food in there ???

Kaboke :lol:

kaboke said:
so how do I keep my good bacteries is that the same as freshwater and just pinch a little food in there ???
Yep, that will work fine. A pinch maybe twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom