Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update- Everything in but protein skimmer issue

whew! What a hectic 24 hours! I got the SW from my LFS and I have in the tank my heaters, LR and powerheads. I did move the tank from the window as far as I could.

I am having an issue with my protein skimmer. The directions are not user friendly. Mainly I am having an issue getting the pump attached.

I have an Eshopps PSK-100H hang on skimmer. (see below) Can anyone tell me why this piece does not fit? There is no phone number and their website doesn't have one either.

I do have a rena Filstart XP canister filter. Can I use that instead of the protein skimmer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2907.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	20945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2909.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	20946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	20947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	20948  

prissysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just guessing since I'm not familiar with that skimmer, but...

It looks like it'd fit if you:

1. Unscrew that lower elbow
2. Reconnect the pump outlet (the part with the orange o-ring on it) to the pump body, and then
3. Simultaneously screw the upper and lower fittings onto both ends of the pump assembly

I think maybe I'm missing what the problem is, but it looks like if you did that, it'd fit.

Cannister filters and protein skimmers do two totally different things - one can't substitute for the other.

I think you'll be much happier down the road with where the tank is sitting, versus right in front of that window.

So that skimmer is a hang-on-back unit? You did leave enough room between the wall and the tank for it... right? Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but there sure doesn't seem like much room back there...

Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
yeahh ^^ nice start.
I got 3 new fishes today~

can't wait to see your tank get some more color ^^
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you going to use any substrate or just a bare bottom? If you are going to use sand I would go ahead and put it in.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I thought I was supposed to wait on the sand? If not heck I'll get that in tomorrow! I'm also putting the paper on the back too.

Do I need to get the raw shrimp or is it necessary since I've had die off from my LR

prissysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prissysmom View Post
I thought I was supposed to wait on the sand? If not heck I'll get that in tomorrow! I'm also putting the paper on the back too.

Do I need to get the raw shrimp or is it necessary since I've had die off from my LR

The sand can go in now. I would probably use a shrimp anyway to make sure you establish a nice strong bacteria colony. Think about painting the back with acrylic paint instead of paper. there are alot more color options. black out window tint works well too.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com