Update: got more fish, some LR :o)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, all,

I thought I'd post an update on our tank, if only out of joy, mixed with appreciation for the advice I've gotten here. You may recall we had a major nitrite spiking problem in our 40-gal FO CC tank, and all the fish but our puffer dies :eek:( We put him in a small holding tank while we redid the main tank, then reintroduced him after if finished cycling. We have begun adding a few small pieces of LR, slowly to spread the cost. I figure some is better than none, right? We plan to buy it in ~ 5-lb batches until we get enough to more or less fill the back area, stopping when it seems to have filled the area, rather than follow any lb/gal formula. I think we'll continue buying the LR (Fiji) from our LFS, as it's cured and we can just pop it into the tank (we don't have a tub or room for quarantine; puf was unhappy in the little 10-gal glass tank we had him in).

This week our daughter & her husband came home for the holidays (she's the one who got us into this), and we got some more fish and a bit more LR, plus a couple of nice pieces of dead coral for hiding places/visual. We now have two damsels (neon & blue velvet), a charming 2" clown, and a lovely coral beauty, in addition to the speckled green puffer, who by now is ~ 4". I hope we're not overstocked. All the fish look healthy & happy, and are active. It's so nice to watch them enjoying all the intricacies of our LR/coral forest.

We even have a tiny hermit crab who hitchhiked on the LR, but I haven't seen him in a couple of days - hope puffer didn't eat him.

Thinking about snails, but if I do, it will be few, in case he does eat them.

What would puffer eat?

>>Won't puffer eat the snails?<<

That does worry me, as he is voracious. Last night he took a couple of nips out of our clown's tail, trying to get the ball of frozen angel food that clown had stolen. Clown is too aggressive for his own good.

Puffer didn't eat the snails we had a while ago (they died from the nitrite elevation I think); they were probably too big for him. We had a little hermit crab that hitchhiked on some LR we got, and we haven't seen him for quite a while. Don't know whether puffer ate him or he's hiding somewhere.

I guess I'd better start with a few snails & see how they coexist with him, so if he does eat them I'm not out a lotta $$.

Back
Top Bottom