Update on friend's tank that rushed into saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
An Update on my friends tank..... 1 Dead Lionfish, Clam, Open Brain, Trumpet coral, Asst Mushrooms, Tomato Clown. He told me the tank turned a murky white and brain emitted white mucus when it dies. He did a 100% water change over 2 days. Lion got ick. Tomato has ick, He added Garlic-x to food to build immune system, He added calcium w/o measuring levels, His eel is digging so deep to bottom of tank it's a mess, I think there is no more help for him he should quit the hobby. He asked me to help and I told him you need to give tank time not just through everything in within 2 weeks, he just added 20 frags. mushrooms all shriveled, bubble coral at half the size when it was healthy, frogspawn turning colors. His nitrates skyrocketd. He now wants to get a protein skimmer with a UV sterilizer. I have seen one that it was built into the skimmer. Honestly what do people think about UV sterilizers? He talked to some guy that said he has OS water, protein skimmer w/UV sterilizer built in uses GarlicX, doses his tank, and never had a parasite, ick problem. I told him well you are dosing b/c the UV is killing all good nutrients etc. Am I right? Thanks

He has a 75Gallon, w/ wet/dry, PC 250 coralife, if you do a search you can read a previous post about this. My friend is dumb.

Buddy, your friend has more serious problems than a UV will fix. They will kill many free-floating bacteria, but won't help with his deeper problem of ammonia and harmful levels. He has to stay patient with the fish he adds in! Too many fish additions at once without the biological foundation will in no way support the load that he has. Quick changes and hurried decisions has lead to the death of several fish and corals. He is wasting his money, being cruel to fish, and frankly... should give up the hobby until he has the time to research it properly. Money is not everything... even if he CAN afford to add 20 frags at a time... his first investment should be a good book, and a calendar so he can learn to be patient. :soap:

Your friend needs to become a member of this site so we can all help him get his tank back on track. He needs to stop buying livestock and work on gettign his tank established first. He could really benitit from this site.

step 1: buy a broom
step 2: remove the handle
step 3: hit friend with broom handle everytime he does something stupid to the tank
eventually he will learn... kind of like Pavlov's dogs. :lol:

another angle to explore is where is your friend getting all this stuff from? obviously the person/place selling him all this stuff doesnt care about the well being of the livestock they are selling...

~mike

Noname,
I'm gonna bar myself from reading anymore posts about your friend, because I am so frustrated. Perhaps you should buy your friend a nice aquarium screensaver for his computer... because he obviously isn't taking up this hobby because he cares about wildlife, since he is so clearly torturing and killing creatures, with seemingly no regard or remorse (and don't get me started on his lfs).

I've been sitting here with an empty tank in my room (for over a month) reading posts on this site, and reading books, for I don't know how long now, because I want to do this right, and not kill marinelife.

The least you can have him do is sign up for this website and get some advice from people who care about marine life and love the hobby. Maybe for his birthday, you can get him a copy of Fenner's "The CONSCIENTIOUS Marine Aquarist."

To the rest of the members of this site, I apologize for this rant/tirade, but it's frustrating to hear about people like this (moderator's can pull the post, if you feel that it's offesive).

Sorry,
David

lets try and turn our comments a little more towards helping rather than the friends capacity to keep fish.

The biggest problem your friends tank has is the rate at which he's adding livestock to it. SW is a patient hobby. The tank is a small ecosystem that must be given a chance to adjust to each change. Tell him to slow down first and foremost.

good point Billy. In fact, I've been using the SW hobby to teach myself how to be more patient. Its a virtue I've always been lacking.

Definitely invite your friend to join us here, and make sure he knows that he won't get 'bashed' for what he's doing...merely 'educated' in proper fish husbandry.

well you need to see it from his point too. he wanted a tank to watch. so he bought it. just like any person not affiliated with a forum. unless noname has been nagging him a ton, he probably thinks hes doing the right thing.

but also its not nonames fault that his friend is doing this

im very glad i found this forum before i started my tank or i would be so lost i would probably be doing the same thing this guy is doing. Id also be buying everything the fish store told me to buy im very thankful i found this forum.

Back
Top Bottom