Update on reef tank! 65G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
3 bags of sand and 3 hunks of live rock here is where I am at!
IMG%5D

IMG%5D

ahhh.. i remember when my tank looked exactly like that..I was soooo anxious to have a nice display... id say be patient!, as far as LR goes you can get some good LR and some non live base rock, it will grow algae pretty quick and turn into LR(if you wanted to fill up the tank faster. thats what I did I got some really nice thickly covered LR frags and pounded them into dust basically and then I just pored it in my tank left my power heads off for a couple hrs. this allows your LR dust to settle on your base rocks (coralline grows faster under blue/actinic light) just a thought

Good idea

I did not think about doing the non live rock on the bottom that is a good thought! The rocks in there now were to get the tank cycling. Thanks for thoughts! oh and the Metal halides there are 20000k so they are pretty blue hard to tell in the picture.

I did not think about doing the non live rock on the bottom that is a good thought! The rocks in there now were to get the tank cycling. Thanks for thoughts! oh and the Metal halides there are 20000k so they are pretty blue hard to tell in the picture.

no problem, there a few ways to help seed your tank, i rad about making foam walls and gluing them c=overs with live sand to the walls of the tank, a buddy of my got eggcrates and pvc pipes and covered them with aquarium sealant, rolled them around in live sand and sealed them to the sides of his tank(that more for scaping though)

Question! I have had the live rock in there for a while and a really nice ecosystem has started, baby starfish, copepods everywhere, and a snail or two. I am wondering will it hurt all those creatures if I put the second half of the live rock in the tank now?

Sort of off the wall question, but what size bags of sand did you put in there? #0 or #1 and what was the weight of the bag?

Back
Top Bottom