Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use one. I emailed them a few questions and described my setup and they recommended the double switch - sump mount along with the one solenoid.

I almost bought the double solenoid, but I have the switch on a timer that only allows it to come on for an hour a day anyway.

Someday I'll add fishies.
elzool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

that syphon from the from or to the fuge worries me.. what happens if you lose power? I see a flood........ Nice use of space... there is never enough room under the tank.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

The tube that is in there is temporary as I am waiting for a "U-Tube" to come in. Even with the current setup, there is no loss of siphon when the power is off. In fact, I filled everything and shut the power about 10 times to see how everything reacted, so far all the siphons fired right up.

quote]I almost bought the double solenoid, but I have the switch on a timer that only allows it to come on for an hour a day anyway.[/quote]

I like that idea. I might incorporate that as well.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey, a bit of a warning... if you put a 20 amp GFCI you better make sure your circuit breaker is a 20 amp as well. If not, you risk causing an electrical fire because your GFCI outlet will take more juice than your circuit box is wired for. Also, the guage of wire for a 20 amp is heavier than for your standard 15 amp house circuits. When ever you're changing outlets, you need to consult local codes, check your breaker box, and make sure that the house wiring is the proper guage for your application. I personally know of a pet store that burned to the ground from switching 15 amp outlets to 20 amp GFCI's without taking the proper precautions, so it's not just urban legend.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzecawi
Hey, a bit of a warning... if you put a 20 amp GFCI you better make sure your circuit breaker is a 20 amp as well. If not, you risk causing an electrical fire because your GFCI outlet will take more juice than your circuit box is wired for.
You have that backwards. The breaker is what protects you from overloads. The GFCI doesn’t have anything to do with what the load can take. However if your breaker is 20 amp and your wall plug is 15 amps then you can run into trouble due to the wall plug overheating from running too much current through it.

True 20 amp plugs usually look like this with one plug turned permanently sideways or have the option for regular plugs:

But they do sell 20 amp plugs that look like normal plugs.

The reason I went with the 20 amp is because my breaker to that plug isn’t rated and it probably is 15 amp but the extra 5 amp in the wall circuit doesn’t mean that the circuit breaker will act any differently if the load is exceeded and I feel safer buying a 20 amp incase the breaker is 20 amp.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification on that. The subject came up in my house because I was told not to put the 20 amp gfci's on the 15 amp house circuit breaker. The reason was explained that I would be running too much on the 20 amp GFCI for our house's wiring, but now that you explain it like that, I wonder if the guy was just trying to push a sale on the new circuit breaker box he showed me afterwards. I do know that the old LFS in my home town burned to the ground though, after wiring in a bunch of 20 amps on their existing wiring. They didn't get anything from the insurance company either, because the work was done without a permit or a contractor. So either way, I wouldn't feel comfortable adding any electrical additions/changes without some professional guidance.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
My dad is a master electrician which is where I learned most of my knowledge. That’s why I bought the Cooper brand because of the light that tells you if its wired incorrectly since it’s been a couple of years since I’ve wired anything. Most of the time it’s pretty easy to figure out but the last couple who had my house had it spray painted and the wires got painted as well so I couldn’t easily identify hot/neutral wires.

A lot of the time an improperly wired or ungrounded outlet will still work but overtime can overheat and burn the place down. It’s not rocket science but if you don’t feel comfortable in dealing with it then it’s worth having an electrician install it for $40+.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pics, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com