Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm it seems most people are of the 220g mindset. What about my current lighting, will that be sufficient in a 220? Or would I have to consider a lighting upgrade?

Thanks everyone so far, I appreciate all the responses!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Hmm it seems most people are of the 220g mindset. What about my current lighting, will that be sufficient in a 220? Or would I have to consider a lighting upgrade?

Thanks everyone so far, I appreciate all the responses!
I'd go as with as big a tank as possible now so you wouldn't need to spend more money upgrading again. One mistake everyone who upgraded a tank multiple times did.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

thing is about the 220 is its more or less the same size, its just got the extra 6 inches of height.

the "6 lamp" or 12lamp t5 might be ok on the 180 since it is not overly tall but on the 220 it might be a little to deep for that fixture. i would end up using an "8 lamp" 16 lamp over each though if it was my tank and i was goign the t5 route
Old 11-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
thats the same debat as i was going through the 220 is tall and a pain to rework rocks or get to the bottom of. the 180 is 2"s taller then your 125 but it is 6 inches from front to back so there is alot more swiming room for tangs and larger fish and is alot easier for them to turn, although the way mr.x is doing his with the deep sand bed to raise things up would work well

this is very true. once you put a dsb in you will gain a more workable depth. youve mentioned your... petite, but they do make those grabber things for well matured individuals to help you reach what you cant otherwise.

go for the 220. plus its a very stunning image to see. then again so is your current 125
Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The guy with the 220g I was looking at for $300 got back to me and the stand is only 24" tall. :-( Not enough room for my sump and skimmer, way too short. Oh well. if it was meant to be I guess it would have worked out.

I'm leaning towards the 180 though anyways, I think it would be much easier to work on and then I could keep my current lighting. But, what is the big difference stocking wise do ya think? What fish or coral or anything would NEED the 220 that wouldnt be happy in a 180? Thats my big question and will decide the 180 vs 220 debate for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can you hold a "name my new tank thread contest" for the two 220s?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That actually sounds like a neat idea! lol i could take suggestions then make a poll.

Not sure when I will be getting them, it's all in the craigslist gods hands. I suspect i will know the setup when I see it. hehe..

I still have the 90g to put up, I'm almost inclined to skip the 90g and sell it off to buy 2 220's. lol Have been kinda looking forward to stocking a not reef safe tank though...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think a 220 FOWLR would be awesome, angels!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea
I agree, if the 220g is deeper, it might be a little harder to move rocks/corals around.
I have short arms- with the 220g I use a ladder and my whole arm and part of my shoulder goes in the tank- however, I can still reach all parts of the tank easily. If all else fails, use the claw mechanism (or a new pair of tongs if you are cheap like me!)

Seriously, I have short arms- I'm only 5ft 5 inches tall
Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
The guy with the 220g I was looking at for $300 got back to me and the stand is only 24" tall. :-( Not enough room for my sump and skimmer, way too short. Oh well. if it was meant to be I guess it would have worked out.

I'm leaning towards the 180 though anyways, I think it would be much easier to work on and then I could keep my current lighting. But, what is the big difference stocking wise do ya think? What fish or coral or anything would NEED the 220 that wouldnt be happy in a 180? Thats my big question and will decide the 180 vs 220 debate for me.
Are you a DIY girl? Build a platform out of 4x4's and cut out the bottom of the current stand. This will give you the height you need. It's what I did.

Tags
reef, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com