Upgrade 180/220 Reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am contemplating my next move as far as tanks. If I were to upgrade from the 125g what size should i consider? I know most would be all about the 220g right off the bat, but in a real world, taking all into consideration is it still the best choice?

I would like to use my existing lights, the 6 foot nova extreme pro 12 bulb setup and my current sump/refugium which is supposed to be rated for up to 225g. In either scenario 180 or 220 I would need a new skimmer I already figured. I also have a 1200gph overflow box if the new purchase isnt drilled. :) What else would I need? I also would get two more powerheads to join the two 1400 Koralias I currently have. or go all out and get a vortech, but thats a big maybe lol

So I guess what I wanna know is, which size would be best, if my 12 bulb lights would be enough to penetrate a 30" tall tank and if theres anything else I may need for an upgrade.

Thanks for reading this long post everyone!!!

Looking forward to your responses. :fish1::fish1::fish1:

I had a 180gallon living with me for about (8) years... empty. It had a good size stand and a large canopy. This thing was enormous. Literally took up an entire wall in my home office.

I would have to believe that when I decide to go back to a large reef, I'm going with a 180. I think it will be plenty to take care of.

I think that your sump will handle a 180 gallon better.

As far a PH's. I think that a couple more koralias would be my option over the MP's. The only reason is the ability to position and I can't see such a large benefit to offset the cost.

As far as the bulbs, I'm running a (4) bulb T5 over my 54 corner which is 24" deep and everything on the sandbed seems to be thriving. I gotta imagine a 12 bulb would be fine, IMO of course.

Cost would be a factor for me to. The amount of money I would sink into corals would be astounding... plus the maintainence difference.

For a final thought, 180's, at least around me, are more common to see on CL. In fact I think over the past 6 months, I've only seen 2 or 3 220's.

For me the 180 will be my goal at least.

Hey, thanks for the input. I'm also thinking the 180 will be easier to work on. Isn't the only difference between the 180 and 220 is the depth? I would so much prefer the shorter depth but I really want a 24" width, the 18" I have just isnt cutting it. lol

As far as the lights, I would **think** they'd be ok for the 180 but again, the 220 is a bunch deeper. Around me it's the 220's that are available more than 180's. Theres one I can get for $300 for black tank and black stand.
Kinda just tossing some ideas around see where it gets me...

Plus, what, as far as fish can I get with a 220 that i can't get with a 180? Theres the magic question. :-D

Hey, thanks for the input. I'm also thinking the 180 will be easier to work on. Isn't the only difference between the 180 and 220 is the depth? I would so much prefer the shorter depth but I really want a 24" width, the 18" I have just isnt cutting it. lol

As far as the lights, I would **think** they'd be ok for the 180 but again, the 220 is a bunch deeper. Around me it's the 220's that are available more than 180's. Theres one I can get for $300 for black tank and black stand.
Kinda just tossing some ideas around see where it gets me...

Plus, what, as far as fish can I get with a 220 that i can't get with a 180? Theres the magic question. :-D
IMO ,no difference..Like you said ,its the same footprint ,,unless its a custom...I'd still want the 220..No reason really.I guess just to say i had it:lol:
Plus ,if you can get one for 300 ,,well,thats a heck of a deal

I agree, if the 220g is deeper, it might be a little harder to move rocks/corals around.

If I were to upgrade from my 125, I would go with either the Perfecto Deep Dimension 300 (72x36x27) or an 8' 265 (84x24x30). Go Big or Go Home. :D

Shoot, I would settle for a 90. LOL Ok, that isn't true. I suspect that once I upgrade from my baby 45 it won't matter what size I go with, it won't be "Big Enough". LOL

I like the 180 gallon. I am working on mine as we speak. It's a big tank but it's still manageable size and you won't have to go swimming to clean it.

thats the same debat as i was going through the 220 is tall and a pain to rework rocks or get to the bottom of. the 180 is 2"s taller then your 125 but it is 6 inches from front to back so there is alot more swiming room for tangs and larger fish and is alot easier for them to turn, although the way mr.x is doing his with the deep sand bed to raise things up would work well

Hmm it seems most people are of the 220g mindset. What about my current lighting, will that be sufficient in a 220? Or would I have to consider a lighting upgrade?

Thanks everyone so far, I appreciate all the responses!

carey said:
Hmm it seems most people are of the 220g mindset. What about my current lighting, will that be sufficient in a 220? Or would I have to consider a lighting upgrade?

Thanks everyone so far, I appreciate all the responses!

I'd go as with as big a tank as possible now so you wouldn't need to spend more money upgrading again. One mistake everyone who upgraded a tank multiple times did.

thing is about the 220 is its more or less the same size, its just got the extra 6 inches of height.

the "6 lamp" or 12lamp t5 might be ok on the 180 since it is not overly tall but on the 220 it might be a little to deep for that fixture. i would end up using an "8 lamp" 16 lamp over each though if it was my tank and i was goign the t5 route

thats the same debat as i was going through the 220 is tall and a pain to rework rocks or get to the bottom of. the 180 is 2"s taller then your 125 but it is 6 inches from front to back so there is alot more swiming room for tangs and larger fish and is alot easier for them to turn, although the way mr.x is doing his with the deep sand bed to raise things up would work well

this is very true. once you put a dsb in you will gain a more workable depth. youve mentioned your... petite, but they do make those grabber things for well matured individuals to help you reach what you cant otherwise.

go for the 220. plus its a very stunning image to see. then again so is your current 125

The guy with the 220g I was looking at for $300 got back to me and the stand is only 24" tall. :-( Not enough room for my sump and skimmer, way too short. Oh well. if it was meant to be I guess it would have worked out.

I'm leaning towards the 180 though anyways, I think it would be much easier to work on and then I could keep my current lighting. But, what is the big difference stocking wise do ya think? What fish or coral or anything would NEED the 220 that wouldnt be happy in a 180? Thats my big question and will decide the 180 vs 220 debate for me.

That actually sounds like a neat idea! lol i could take suggestions then make a poll. :-D

Not sure when I will be getting them, it's all in the craigslist gods hands. I suspect i will know the setup when I see it. hehe..

I still have the 90g to put up, I'm almost inclined to skip the 90g and sell it off to buy 2 220's. lol Have been kinda looking forward to stocking a not reef safe tank though...

redsea said:
I agree, if the 220g is deeper, it might be a little harder to move rocks/corals around.

I have short arms- with the 220g I use a ladder and my whole arm and part of my shoulder goes in the tank- however, I can still reach all parts of the tank easily. If all else fails, use the claw mechanism (or a new pair of tongs if you are cheap like me!)

Seriously, I have short arms- I'm only 5ft 5 inches tall

carey said:
The guy with the 220g I was looking at for $300 got back to me and the stand is only 24" tall. :-( Not enough room for my sump and skimmer, way too short. Oh well. if it was meant to be I guess it would have worked out.

I'm leaning towards the 180 though anyways, I think it would be much easier to work on and then I could keep my current lighting. But, what is the big difference stocking wise do ya think? What fish or coral or anything would NEED the 220 that wouldnt be happy in a 180? Thats my big question and will decide the 180 vs 220 debate for me.

Are you a DIY girl? Build a platform out of 4x4's and cut out the bottom of the current stand. This will give you the height you need. It's what I did.

Back
Top Bottom