upgrading 50 gal to a 150 gal tank soon..need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am upgrading to a 150 gal tank soon, I havent gotten a tank yet, but would like help on the purchase and transfer of my livestock from a 50 to a 150. heres my 50 gal setup:
50 gal seaclear acrylic tank
aquaclear 500 canister filter
seaclone 100 protein skimmer
200 watt heater
powerhead 402
powersweep wavemaker for a 75 gal tank(BS) wasted money!
40 lbs of LS
20 lbs of CC
20 lbs of base rock

Livestock:
1 naso, 1 regal, 1 powder blue tang
1 picaso trigger, 2 cleaner shrimps ,1 blue lobster

purchase:
should I get a tank only or get a tank with a built in system?Whats cheaper? For that size, glass or acrylic? I like the look of acrylic,but for that size, which is more durable? Do I need another canister filter?How many powerheads do I need?

transfer:
What procedure or precautions do I need to take to safely transfer my livestock. Will the new tank go into a cycle?whoowee alot of questions any and all suggestions welcome, thanx

I would get a system with built in overflows, or at least pre drilled so you can set up a sump system underneath. I prefer glass, because it won't scratch and a sump for you skimmer, prefilter, potential refugium, etc.
Also with a sump and built in overflows, you could set up a better system of water movement (closed loop) and elimintate the use of "hang on" units and minimize the number of powerheads needed.

how much can expect to pay for a tank with a system built in?what would be a bargain? the 150 would probably be a FO tank to accommodate
large fish and turn the 50 gal in to a reef tank.

Drillings and overflows are usually about 30-75 over the cost of the tank. If you are talking acrylic and a 150 drilled you are atleast in the $500 range probably. Glass may be a bit less but it is harder to find drilled glass locally.
purchase:
should I get a tank only or get a tank with a built in system?Whats cheaper? For that size, glass or acrylic? I like the look of acrylic,but for that size, which is more durable? Do I need another canister filter?How many powerheads do I need?

transfer:
What procedure or precautions do I need to take to safely transfer my livestock. Will the new tank go into a cycle?whoowee alot of questions any and all suggestions welcome, thanx
Durability isn't really an issue... acrylic will scratch easier but a well made tank with a center brace won't bend. Obviously like it was said a sump is better than a canister. For that tank depending on the size of the PH's I would say atleast 3 or 4 minimum. The new tank will cycle but you can do things to shorten the period like take rock or filter media from your established tank and run it in the 150. The hardest part is getting the 50g broken down and getting the 150 in it's place without hurting the livestock. Many people get a QT to put the fish in temporarily because it is near impossible to move a full 50g tank. If I were you I would empty the tank to the point of partial mobility and move it just far enough out of the way so that the 150 can go where you want. Then fill the 50 back up wiht the same water and let it run until the 150 is ready. Personally I don't like removing the fish unless I absolutely have to. If the 150 is going in another location you are golden though.

Im looking to spend about $600 to $700 for a tank and then over a three to 4 month period get all the accessories. I just hope the livestock in my 50 gal can stay happy fo that time :lol:

Back
Top Bottom