Upgrading from PC to MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

Can anyone offer advice on upgrading from PC to MH? I currently have a 75 gallon reef that has 260 watts PC. I will be upgrading the lighting to 2x250 MH and 2x110 VHO.

I am in the dark on how to upgrade the light w/out harming any of my livestock.

Thanks in Advance,
Jon Solo
:onfire:

I usuallt run the lights for 2 hours to start. Then every 2-3 days I increase it by 1 hour. This has worked for me as well as alot of my customers.

I am currently doing what Darin has mentioned. there is actauuly an article in the articles sectio of the site that talks about this. I up mine 1/2 hour on Wed. and Sun. I am up to 8.5 hours with a 2.5 hr gap in the middle of the day. Will be on for 11 hours when finished. I need to see if this is too much though. Temps are stable at 82.5-84! Wish it was a bit cooler but that is what I get. I might need to put some bigger fans in.

BTW, I have a 75 gal with 40 gal of sump/refuge and a 2x250 T5 set up. So yours is similar. I came from a 220 watt PC fixture.

you can also start with the MH higher up and slowly lower it the desired height level over a few weeks.

You can also buy the screen door screens and layer the screens on top of the tank and remove a layer of screen every 2 or 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom