Upgrading~ need help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltyfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I have become addicted to this hobby now and upgrading to a 55 gal from a 30. My thirty is up and running with fish and corals that I want to eventually move over. When I got the 30 it was established with fish, sand, rock ect. I even got the made saltwater. So I have no clue on how to go about getting this 55 started and getting everything moved over. I have everything I need but the sand for it and I will be buying that soon. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Also i Have a lot of base rock that was given to me.... and I want to get that in there to eventually become live.... would it be a good idea to start that while it is going through the cycle and add some of the live rock out of my 30?

If enuf lr already, you might be able to move without a cycle at all. New sand is good. Test the new base in some sw to ensure it doesn't create ammonia since some dry stuff can when wet again making decomposition start again.

How much lr currently in the 30?

I have about 20 lbs In my 30. And have around 30lbs of dry rock that was once live in a friend of mines tank that he took down. When I start adding the sand and new saltwater.... what is the best way to go about that? I have been told to add a little bit of my established sand in with the new also..... So not really sure.

When I went from my 72 to a 155g, it worked for me. I'd use the enitre 20lbs, new sand and a couple of cupfulls of the old sand just for the heck of it. I'm not a fan of using sand from lfs and friends for some reason. I'd seriously put the friends lold lr, now dry in prepared sw to test for ammonia. Do that first. If OK, I would do the upgrade in one day. Be prepared with well rinsed new sand, and ready mixed sw for water changes if needed and your handy test kit. Might need a new bucket or tub or two to put the stuff from the 30g in while you move the new tank tom the same spot the old one is (I presume)

Nah, actually My new one wont fit where the 30 is now. It will be on the opposite side of my living room. But I do have tubs and buckets and all that good stuff. I hope this upgrade goes smooth tho, I am content with my 30 BUT petco told me that I could put a yellow tang in it and I have found out that my 30 is too small for her (and a 55 may be too, but it is what i can afford right now) and I have gotten attached so I am upgrading for her mostly. I have her, a sixline wrasse, snails, coral banded shrimp, some neon clove polyps (love those), blue ricordia, anthelia, mushrooms,neon green zoanthids and just recently took on some sun polyps (def different to care for but worth it) Thanks for the help and one last question what sand do you recommend?

Thanks for the help! I have been looking at what lighting I need also, If I just keep similar corals as the ones I listed above.... what do you think for the 55?

I found some I really like and for a good price compared to what I have seen in stores on ebay and I think I may get them here is the link if you would like to check them out also

NEW 48

Back
Top Bottom