Upgrading Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a friend build me a stand for my 20g that could take a bigger stand when I upgraded later. I found a 50g tank on CL for cheap. Currently I have a HOB overflow/return system that goes at about 200 gph. I was wondering if it would be just fine to keep that with the new tank and just add larger gph wavemakers/rock etc

Basically, can I move everything from my current 20 into the 50 without cycling it first. Then I'll add rock and let it cycle before I add additional fish. Would that be okay?

You shouldn't cycle more rock with livestock in the tank, if that's what you're asking

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, that's cruel. What I mean is move everything into the bigger tank. The rock should have enough bacteria to keep the livestock okay. Then just add base rock and let it build bacteria before adding additional livestock

You shouldn't cycle more rock with livestock in the tank, if that's what you're asking

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, that's cruel.

No, this is not necessarily cruel. There is whole other method, that reefers now-a-days tend to forget. Soft cycling/ or fish in, some would say can be done safely and relatively easily.

There are several guides to doing so on this forum, and if followed correctly this method may/can work better then our Hard Cycling method with arbitrary numbers.

Bacteria is on the rocks correct? And in the sand bed? I have sand and rock from an aquarium that's been running 2+ months with fish in it. I just want to move all that into the bigger one with more water...doesn't change the bioload so it should work right?

Bacteria is on the rocks correct? And in the sand bed? I have sand and rock from an aquarium that's been running 2+ months with fish in it. I just want to move all that into the bigger one with more water...doesn't change the bioload so it should work right?

Yes, it can work. However, you need to be ready to do what you do when Soft Cycling an aquarium. If suggest you read those articles, and go from there.

Then you should be all set. You can keep updating on it here so if anything goes wrong, me or hopefully Wy Renegade because he is an expert at this can help you.

Back
Top Bottom