Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Upgrading tank

I have a very established 55 gal reef/fish tank. I have over 100lbs of live rock, 60+ lbs of live sand, with a 30 gal sump with 30+ lbs of sand and 40+ lbs of live rock. I have an 8 bulb t-5 light several fish and lots of shrooms, softies, and some hard corals.
My question is I want to upgrade to a larger tank, but I don't have room to setup another tank and start over with the whole cycle thing over.
Can I tear down my tank, save my water, rinse my sand, and put all my stuff into my new tank? Will my fish and corals survive? What can I do?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It can be done. As long as you keep all your rock under water you shouldn't see any die off or a cycle. It isn't recommended that you use lower layers of sandbed. Think can pollute tank. I have always read only take top few inches of sand only.

Your best bet is to keep fish and coral out of tank for a day and keep them in aerated 5 gallon buckets Test the water before putting livestock back in to assure no ammonia. Might not be bad idea to acclimate again too since ph and salinity and temp will most Likley change. Keep us updated.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Agreed. Re-using your LS can cause a mini cycle in the new tank. I would get all new sand and save some from your tank to seed it. The LR will be fine as long as you keep it wet. The water itself doesn't matter as the BB is on the LR.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My sand is only 9 months old can't just rinse it and reuse?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could rinse and re use. Put in a bucket and run fresh water through it till water runs clear. This will kill all critters in sand tho. Take a bunch of sand before you do this and save it in some tank water. Then you can put that in tank to re seed sand bed.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfaff77
You could rinse and re use. Put in a bucket and run fresh water through it till water runs clear. This will kill all critters in sand tho. Take a bunch of sand before you do this and save it in some tank water. Then you can put that in tank to re seed sand bed.
Just rinse it in saltwater, won't kill anything.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10

Just rinse it in saltwater, won't kill anything.
You could do this although harder to get good flowing water to rinse really good. I was thinking all sand in a 5 gallon bucket and stick garden hose in bucket and rinse for while. Would get all the nasties out.

But rinsing in saltwater is better if can find efficient way.

Tags
tan, upgrading, upgrading tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com