Upgrading tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sometime ill want to upgrade to a larger tank and id like to know if i just transfer all my live sand rock and water over from my existing 2 year established 25 gal do i still have to go through the cycling process again and start all over with no coraline algae growth or other perks of an established tank? I would be adding more store bought live sand and rock to fill the tank in too. Does it depend on how much bigger the tank is i am transfering to?

Adding your old sand is not a good idea because you will stir around alot of stuff that trapped in that sand! I also don't recommend buying live sand just buy aragonite sand and put in your live rock. Depending how much live rock you have and how big your new tank is you should not see much of a cycle if any at all. Just remember to test your water daily once you do the switch and that pwc's are your best friend.

if you mouse over the underlined abbreviations on this forum, you'll see their expanded meanings.
he mentioned not to buy the live sand from the stores, because it's a waste of money. you can buy bags of dry sand for much less, and use that and it will become live in no time at all.

Im just on here on my phone theres limited options. I was hoping thered be ways to cheat having to establish the tank from scratch but i probably wont be upgrading any time soon anyway

PWC = partial water change. i hated all those in the beginning but you get used to them.

Adding your old sand is not a good idea because you will stir around alot of stuff that trapped in that sand!.

any other opinions on the subject of used sand? agree? disagree? I upgraded from a 40g to a 50g two years ago using my old aragonite and adding new aragonite. Now i will be upgrading to a 75g in the next month and plan on using the old aragonite unless advised not to.

i fear using the old sand too, especially if it's a couple years old. you could pull it out and rinse it a bit in some salt water i suppose. i just know that when i stir around a sand bed, like to move a piece of live rock or something, a lot of gunk comes out of it, sometimes enough to cloud the water up for a short while. that is detritus.

i fear using the old sand too, especially if it's a couple years old. you could pull it out and rinse it a bit in some salt water i suppose. i just know that when i stir around a sand bed, like to move a piece of live rock or something, a lot of gunk comes out of it, sometimes enough to cloud the water up for a short while. that is detritus.

+1

Plus by putting in new sand your able to get rid of phosphates and other junk trapped in your sand, also a tank with new sand is very pleasing to the eye!

Thank you, it sounds like the logical thing to do is get new sand. What if i was to completely rinse out the sand in buckets and dry it out to save on new sand? Do you think that would be ok or just start anew?

It depends upon your new tank size. If it is a 55 gallon or maybe a 70 and you transfer all the water you might be fine and no cycle. If it is larger, expect a cycle. You can re-use your sand, just rinse it in salt water with a fine mesh strainer, piece of nylon screen (small) or look online for some other ways.

Thank you, it sounds like the logical thing to do is get new sand. What if i was to completely rinse out the sand in buckets and dry it out to save on new sand? Do you think that would be ok or just start anew?
yes, i don't think you need to dry it, just get the detritus (if any) out of it.

Back
Top Bottom