Upgrading tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merelymiche

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are there any current members who have gone through an upgrade from 55g to 110g/75g sump? Walk me through how you proceeded!

Thanks!

well if you plan on keeping the 55g then its like startign over from scratch, if you are transfering over then i'd say keep the 55g up and running for a bit fill the new tank with water and live rock and sand. place all your power heads in, then take a few pieces of cured live rock from your current setup and place them in the new one to help seed the growth of life on your new system.

is the tank going in the same place as the 55? i would cycle the new tank with additional live rock and then move everything over after.
if you have to break down the 55, transfer all of the livestock and water to the 110, fill it the rest of the way, and then cycle any new live rock in the 55 somewhere else. add that later after it's cycled.

is the tank going in the same place as the 55? i would cycle the new tank with additional live rock and then move everything over after.
if you have to break down the 55, transfer all of the livestock and water to the 110, fill it the rest of the way, and then cycle any new live rock in the 55 somewhere else. add that later after it's cycled.

Can my livestock survive a move from the 55g to a 110g/75g if I transfer the water and fill it the rest of the way? I have heard that a "water change" that big will shock my system!

There are so many things I already hate about my saltwater tank after only 6 mo (I was not well-educated in the hobby and rushed; purchased "cured live rock" online and didn't cure before adding to the tank, and so on with rookie mistakes). After much consideration, I have considered starting from scratch, buying all new live rock/live sand and using base rock/rubble to help cure/cycle the new set up.

Can anyone suggest reasonable amounts of each to purchase in order to cure/cycle everything and the tank in 4 weeks? I need to know live rock/base rock/live sand/rubble in pounds please.

I was thinking (50/50/100/25) to start, possibly moving my 55lbs of current live rock if I can trust it after it is cleaned.

Thanks!

Can my livestock survive a move from the 55g to a 110g/75g if I transfer the water and fill it the rest of the way? I have heard that a "water change" that big will shock my system!

There are so many things I already hate about my saltwater tank after only 6 mo (I was not well-educated in the hobby and rushed; purchased "cured live rock" online and didn't cure before adding to the tank, and so on with rookie mistakes). After much consideration, I have considered starting from scratch, buying all new live rock/live sand and using base rock/rubble to help cure/cycle the new set up.

Can anyone suggest reasonable amounts of each to purchase in order to cure/cycle everything and the tank in 4 weeks? I need to know live rock/base rock/live sand/rubble in pounds please.

I was thinking (50/50/100/25) to start, possibly moving my 55lbs of current live rock if I can trust it after it is cleaned.

Thanks!

Most people spend way too much on live rock/sand. If you are talking live sand in the bag, save your money. There probably isn't much of anything alive in there.

If the rock in your 55 is cured now, you can simply use that to seed the new tank. Buy as much dry base rock you like. Aquascape the new tank, and then add a few pieces of your cured live rock to the new tank.

If you want to speed the cycle up more, add a cup or 2 of sand from the existing tank.

I would still proceed as if you are cycling the tank. Add an amonia source to get the nitrogen cycle started which should speed along with the rock you used to seed the tank.

Once Ammonia and Nitrites are zero, and nitrates have minor reading, do a water change and start to add stock slowly.

Back
Top Bottom