Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

upgrading to a 180 ongoing quetions & cost tally

I have had my 75 gal reef for a few years now and in the pocess of remodeling our kitchen we decided to redo the whole living room and dining room.
This created a nice spot for a 180.

Problem 1 - The joists run north -> south, & the tank has to sit north -> south. So I went to a structural engineer and he is in the process of drawing up prints to support the load. Gonna add 8 or 10 2X4" downstairs on slab. This will cut into the living space, but by boxing it in it will give us a storage room. Cost for this $250. Does this sound about right?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

$250 sounds like a great deal if you are talking about completely framing up the closet including drywall. If it is just for a short load bearing wall I think that it is a bit steep

140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

maybe I misspoke, the $250 was just for his blueprints, I will be doing all the work myself. The framing,crossbracing, sheetrock, etc.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wow! That is a bit high. If you are able to do this kind of work yourself I believe you would be able to come up with the "blueprints" yourself. I've done some similar things with my tanks and I've just overdone the bracing just to make sure. If I thought a 2x4 could hold the load I used a 2x6 just to make sure. I wouldn't spend $250 for someone to tell me what I could probably figure out myself. Just my thoughts. This is of course your house and tank. Good luck.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I kinda agree with Ziggy...if you know how to frame up a load bearing wall...and you know to cross brace the joists...then you may not need the blueprints? Of course, I don't know what building codes are there and perhaps you would want to have a set of prints available to prove to a potential buyer that the job was legit and done right...I don't know. If it were me, I'd build what I knew had to be there and not worry with buying the prints. $250 will buy several 2X4's.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks I will call him Monday and tell him not to bother, it has only been a couple of days I doubt he has really started. If we move it won't be for 10 yrs, we have done too much remodeling to get out anytime soon.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, I got him straightened out, thank on saving the $$$.
My LFS told me the custom stand is in, I'm gonna get it Sunday. He also got me a Berlin sump for 1/2 price.
:
When I set up the new tank(it'll be ready in a few weeks), I'm gonna use only sand as a substrate and get some base rock(won't have enough from the 75) and cycle the new tank. I plan on transferring all my stuff from my 75 over, when would be the time to transfer my sand & rock over? before or after the cycle?
Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay so you all don't want to answer my last question, doesn't matter. My LFS told me to transfer over all the LS, LR and inhabitants at once. After adding the new base rock and sand.

The question I have is that I am getting a new sump with the 180 which is about 40 gals, and I want to use my current sump, about 35 gals as my fuge. What is the best way to plumb this setup? As two seperate systems or integrated as one somehow?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree witht he LFS...the sand and rock from the other tank will jump start the cycle of the new tank. I have a few pics of what I did with 3 different tanks if you want to have a look. look at this link...http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...973&highlight=

There are images of my sumps in this post.

HTH
Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If you have the room, have the tank drain to the sump and then have a pump from the sump to supply the refugium. Elevate the refugium so that it can gravity feed back to the sump.

Tags
upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com