Upgrading to a 95 Wave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOWLR Newbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just purchased a used 95 Wave Tank. I really like the tank but am a little confused on how to upgrade from my 55 to the 95. I plan on putting the tanks in different locations so I can start the 95 without having to tear down the 55 first.

The 95 wave tank has an overflow that is plumbed into a Pro Clear Aquatics System 2 section acrylic tank. I'm thinking they call it a 75 Wet/Dry filter system with a return pump. Can I use this as a sump? I bought it from someone who had it set up as a freshwater tank and was just using the small acrylic tank below for a filter with carbon and a filter sponge. Will this work on a saltwater tank as well?

I plan to get the tank started this coming weekend. I'm going to buy 50 lbs of dry rock and a few pounds of live rock and a bag of sea gravel and fill the tank about 1/2 way. I'm going to let it stay 1/2 full for about a month to seed the rock and then I plan on adding the live rock, the sandbed and the water from my 55 gallon when the tank is cycled. Will this work?

My 55 is a FOWLR and I plan on setting the 95 up the same way. I don't plan on getting into corals at least not the first year. I'm pretty new to the hobby just started back in October and so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I would just fill the tank half way and put the dry rock in, and wait a couple days. If you see no ammonia, then put the entire contents of your 55 in and your done. It's pointless to seed the dry rock when that's exactly what you are going to do when you add the 55.
As long as the sand bed isn't full of detritus, you can safely add it.

As for the wet/dry, you could convert it, but it might just be better to start fresh and partition a 20 long or 29 gallon just the way you want it.

I've been reading a lot of information and some say I should soak the dry rock before adding it to start the DT. Some say this is to kill off the dead stuff buried in it and others say to get rid of phos. Should I do this or is it okay to just put it in the tank and let it do it's thing in the tank?

Slow Process

Well I let my Dry Live Fiji rock from Aquarium Depot soak for 2 weeks in a tub of saltwater and got all of the dead animals/plant life off of it. Most of it was pretty clean but there were a few gross mushy things that I had to get off. I tested the water several times and did a water change once during the process and the phosphates were off the charts.

I've put the rock in my DT now and am slowly filling the tank with water. I started out with enough Ro/Di water to cover the rock, but I am slowly filling it up with Ro/Di water to get the tank completely full. It takes a long time to fill a 95 gallon tank with Ro/Di. Whew!

Right now I have 50lbs of the dry live rock with 2 power heads and a heater. Hoping to finish filling the tank up this week and then add a bag of sand this weekend. I'll take pics once the tank is full. I'll be cycling the tank before I add the rock and sand from my other tank to this tank. (My sand in the other tank has only been in there for a little over a month).

I can't wait to get this thing finished so I can add new fish. Still thinking I'm going to stay FOWLR but have the capabilities and getting fish in case I decide to go reef.

Dry live Fiji rock? Do you mean live rock from the ocean, or completely dry rock. This is a totally different story. You will need to cycle this rock before adding your livestock.

Dry live Fiji rock? Do you mean live rock from the ocean, or completely dry rock. This is a totally different story. You will need to cycle this rock before adding your livestock.
Yes it is live rock that has been dried out and shipped. I will definitely be cycling the tank and expect it to take awhile.

When live rock comes from the ocean to stores, they ship it dry with just some wet newspaper on it. THIS IS CONSIDERED LIVE ROCK. There is a lot of die off on it and it will cause an ammonia spike. Stores will then submerge it in water and sell it at their leisure.
True dry rock has nothing soft on it at all. This rock will need an ammonia source added to the tank in order to kick start the cycle.

When live rock comes from the ocean to stores, they ship it dry with just some wet newspaper on it. THIS IS CONSIDERED LIVE ROCK. There is a lot of die off on it and it will cause an ammonia spike. Stores will then submerge it in water and sell it at their leisure.
True dry rock has nothing soft on it at all. This rock will need an ammonia source added to the tank in order to kick start the cycle.
Thank you Mr. X I will be putting a shrimp in the tank to cycle. I appreciate all of your advice.

Was able to get everything switched over from 55 into the 95. All fish are alive and happy. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424459561.847546.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love the shape of the tank. I have a power head pointed from the back towards the bow in the front and it seems to have plenty of flow. :fish2:

Pump

I think the pump in my sump is getting ready to die. What pump would work well on a 95 gallon tank? Hose is 3/4".

What makes you think it's going? A Danner Magdrive 9.5, Quiet one 4000, or an Eheim 1262 should be plenty.

What makes you think it's going? A Danner Magdrive 9.5, Quiet one 4000, or an Eheim 1262 should be plenty.

Thank you for the suggestions. My husband came home yesterday and the pump was off, then it shut itself back on before he was able to unplug it. Not sure how long it had been off.

Back
Top Bottom