Upgrading to a bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moog24

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm upgrading to 180 from 55. My main concern is the nitrogen cycle. All I'm adding to the new tank is live sand. The live rock will come straight from old tank. Will that be enough to skip the nitrogen cycle since the rock is from an established tank?

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It should be just fine as long as you aren't adding a ton of fish all at once. The bacteria in the live rock you have are enough to support the fish you already have. That said, I would still wait a couple of weeks to keep an eye on the parameters to ensure there weren't any issues and while the bacteria build up in the sandbed as well.

Totally agree with As said above Plus you could also add a bio booster as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

I'm upgrading to 180 from 55. My main concern is the nitrogen cycle. All I'm adding to the new tank is live sand. The live rock will come straight from old tank. Will that be enough to skip the nitrogen cycle since the rock is from an established tank?

as sniper said, shouldn't be a problem.
you will most likely see a blip of elevated levels, but it may be very quick. When I switched from 30 to a 50 basically the same as you are doing, moving everything over, my ammonia and nitrite went up, but came back down within 12 hours.
as long as you have the same bio-load, shouldn't be a problem.

biggest obstacle is gonna be waiting for a couple weeks before you can add more stuff!:whistle:

Lol I already have them all picked out already feel like I need a 360 gallon to be happy lol

Back
Top Bottom