Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought about that. Had a thermal engineer run some numbers and it would seem sufficient. Will add fans to be sure. Once it's all together I'm gonna monitor with a thermal imager for 24hrs and see, I know it's overkill but whatever.

Sometimes it pays to work in a manufacturing environment.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I thought about that. Had a thermal engineer run some numbers and it would seem sufficient. Will add fans to be sure. Once it's all together I'm gonna monitor with a thermal imager for 24hrs and see, I know it's overkill but whatever.

Sometimes it pays to work in a manufacturing environment.
Haha! I love it. I just bought LEDs from rapid led and will be putting it together this weekend. I am a process engineer and work with class 3 electronics all day. I am sure I am going to scrutinize my workmanship on the solder and wire routing. I am also working on my masters in mechanic engineering and decided it would be fun to program my own controller, version 1 is almost done. I'm glad to know I'm not the only nerd out there. I am thinking about running a thermo couple to read my temps so I only run the fan as much as is needed but that won't be in the original design. I haven't fun any thermal analysis because I really didn't like that class.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was thinking about a thermo couple myself but decided that's just outrageous. Don't want another controller. I was trying I do this cheaper than a pre made retro kit. I'll wire up the stock fans to turn on when the lights do.

I started programming one of our cnc machines to make a proper heat sink but then I realized I might be insane and stopped.

I will monitor the temp for a week and decide then.

Now I just have to wait for shipping the suspense is killing me.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, waiting is the worst. I realized that even though a thermocouple would be kinda fun to implement it is definitely over kill and as far as the performance of the led goes the best option would be to run the fans on high when the LEDs are on. You should let us know how the thermal analysis goes once you get them running.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well the package arrived and been assembling in spare time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1601893154.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	175724

Quick mock up for testing. Was going to hid the wires behind the heatsink but decided against it seeing that they will be hidden when the hood is closed.

Name:	image-2744910162.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	175725

Power on at 10%

These things are bright. I don't see a need to ever go over 40%. Keep in mind I am also under driving them at 750ma. Could bring that up but don't see a need to.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
So, no optics then? I would not have any if I was running your set up. I would be afraid you would see the different colors in beams.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

How come you left 2 LEDs out? Are they for night lighting?

Of course, now you will have to provide the details on final cost so some of us others who can dabble in electronics can consider the switch. Please.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
So, no optics then? I would not have any if I was running your set up. I would be afraid you would see the different colors in beams.
I decided against optics seeing the lights sit directly on the water Column. Didn't think they would be necessary.

Don't know how to quote twice on a phone but...

The two LEDs that are left out are moonlights. I need to wire them up and check their intensity, I fear that's way to much light for the cube after seeing what the other LEDs are capable of.

As far as cost I used a lot of material I had laying around but the electronics were $180. Again judging by intensity if I could do it again I would purchase fewer LEDs which would result in a smaller drivers and bring the overall cost down considerably.

Assembly is a cake walk assuming you have some soldering exp.

On a side not the dimming system is not so great you can't dim lower than what I call 10% it just doesn't have have that much resolution.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mounted to the tank. Currently at the lowest setting and still brighter than the stock PC.

Name:	image-2538431760.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	176926

Tags
led, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com