Urchin Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about what I'd like to put in my tank when I get everything under control, and I've been considering getting a tuxedo urchin (I hate the big spines on the other kinds). I've heard they can eat coraline algae and wreak other sorts of havoc on your tank. Can everyone tell me what the drawbacks to an urchin are?

Yes that is true that they will eat the algae, when i use to have one (thank you petco :roll: ) It climbed on my one soft coral and saw just some damge to it. However i have seen them be kept in very great reef tanks. Any reason you want one?

I just think they're interesting. I had a friend who had a pincushion urchin that carried around his thermometer. It was hysterical. Anyway, I just generally find them amusing. I like having lots of inverts doing their respective things in my tank so there's always someone to watch. This is just a potential addition.

I actually have a blue tuxedo urchin in my tank. Been there for over a year and so far not one casualty. They are also the least likely of the urchins to strip corallline depending on available food sources. I would caution you to make sure the tank is very healthy before/if you get one, they are not tolerant of change.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom