Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2004, 05:08 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, he's still the same - sort of docile, and not interested in food. I've soaked it in garlic, and also tried seaweed. He hasn't eaten for 5 days...

My levels are getting a bit better now, but still aren't at 0. Anyone any ideas?

Old 08-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK....Bit of a change.

He's now breathing VERY rapidly and his skin has darkened...it looks sort of "dirty". His face has gone a bit white too.

I think he's past it to be honest.

Anyone any ideas what's wrong with him?

Old 08-27-2004, 08:30 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could be a disease we don't know about. It could be from the high nitrites.

When was the last water change?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be the chlorine too.. I had forgotten about that.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

The last water change was last night...with dechlorinator.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:59 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, he doesn't look too good.

I've done all I can for him...even more water is mixing now and will be ready for 10am tomorrow.

But my waterchanges don't seem to be doing much good...

I put my 2 filter pads in my main tank for 2 weeks before starting my QT...all was ok in the QT for 10 days, then boom. What happened? Even with the levels at 0 in m QT (amm/nit) should I still have been doing water changes every 3 days, instead of the planned every week? Would that have helped keep the levels down, even though they were at 0 anyway?

If the worst comes to the worst and he doesn't make it, I guess I'll put some new pads in my main tank for another 2 weeks and start my QT again.

Do I have to do anything with the QT filter/tank etc. with it having normal untreated tap-water in it and the high amm/nitrites? Or just rinse thoroughly?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the sudden decline was probably a result of the chlorine. It's easy to say now that it could've helped to do more frequent water changes but you never know. If it does have a disease at least you know that it hasn't been passed on to your other fish.

If the worst happens then I think you would be better off cycling the QT properly with a raw shrimp for next time. Just rinse it out with RO and let it dry first.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:03 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
...even more water is mixing now and will be ready for 10am tomorrow.

Sorry but in an emergency, and clorine in the water would be considered one, forget areation for 24 hrs. Get the temp and sg up to tank levels and change it out. Someone may correct me on this but clorine is a posion so it's better to have the water changed than worry about areation.

Why not add some declorinator to the tank water? I know it's better to have it added before salt but it will still work after salt is added.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with Gerald. I have 11 fish in 2 different qt system right now and have been doing daily water (10 gallon) changes for the last 6 week. There has been several time where I mixed and used an airstone for only about 2 hours before the change. It didn't hurt them a bit.
Sometimes you do what you have to do and cut a few corners. IMO the water change is the priority in this instance.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #50
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
Someone may correct me on this but clorine is a posion so it's better to have the water changed than worry about areation.
Very true. When dealing with possible water poisoning, using newly mixed water isn't the best thing but still the lesser of two evils. As far as the NH3/NO2 is concerned, if chlorine has definately entered the QT, there is a very good chance it's destroyed the biofilter or hampered it severely.

As far as the de-chlorinator in the QT, I think Atari was refering to the tap water being added untreated to the QT and then the de-chlor after the fact which he is correct in saying shouldn't happen. The tap water should be treated before using in the QT. Chlorine takes several hours to disapate naturally from the system whithout chemical aids. Chloramines on the otherhand can take several days. Adding some de-chlorinator to the QT will help eliminate possible chloramines which could very well be your problem.

How's the pH?

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com