Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

URGENT advice needed please :/

If a fish has whitespot etc. how likely is it that it'll be passed onto other fish in the tank?

If I find all the fish to have it, can I treat them all at the same time in a QT with medication?

Can inverts (crabs/shrimp) catch it?

Could it "attach" itself to things in the tank (rock/powerheads etc.) so that they'd have to be bleached etc. and the tank left fallow?

Old 08-24-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Its higly likely the others have it...you need to QT and treat all of the fish in the same tank. I used Cupramine...no inverrts from my understanding can not get it. and yes the ick can be in the substrate and such...need to leave the tank fallow for 6 weeks.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK - this is the problem.

My nitrites in my QT (15gal) are quickly rising - at 0.5 at the mo. I've done a 50% water change but they haven't gone down.

Since they've started going up my butterfly in my QT hasn't been his usual self. He's stopped eating and is docile and not swimming about much. He was fine before this and swimming away, very active and eating well.

No other signs of problems with him.

I'm thinking about putting him in my main tank which has a ocellaris clown and banggai cardinal in it.

He's been in QT for 10 days.

I know it's a risk - if it's a disease he's got he could pass it onto my other fish.

But, I don't want to lose my butterfly because of the problems I'm having getting the Nitrites down - just trying to make a decision on what to do, based on the potential problems and likeliness of being able to get rid of the ich from the main tank.

Do you think my clown, banggai and long-nosed butterfly could live fairly ok for 6 weeks in my QT if the worst came to the worst? I'd have to do waterchanges every day I guess.

Don't know what to do :/

Should I do a fresh-water dip if I decide to put the butterfly in my main tank, to lessen the chances? If so, how exactly do I do it? Heater in the water? Just fresh water (RO or tap?)? How long for? How can I tell if he's too stressed by it? Do I acclimate after the dip (ie. put him back into some QT water then acclimate him?

:/
Old 08-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

fresh water dips just reduce the number of parasites. your fish is already infected so a dip isn't gonna help.
puttin him in the main tank will surely put the other fish at high risk, and you NEVER want to medicate teh main tank since pretty much all parasite meds will kill live rocks and inverts.

Keep him in the QT tank. .5 nitrites isn't deadly for most species of fish, but it is going to make fish sluggish as their gills won't be able to absorb as much oxygen as normal.

I'd definitely keep the fish in QT, or you risk losing all fish livestock. You may have to do 2 water changes a day to keep the nitrItes reasonable.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know if he is infected - there are no signs of ich etc. I'm guessing he's just unhappy because of the high nitrites.

It currently takes me 24 hours to do a water change (making RO water/mixing etc.).

As it's an emergency, will using tap water (TDS 150, not too bad) be ok and mixing the saltwater for just a couple of hours be ok? Just for the next few times to get the nitrites back to 0?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

He *may* have a few tiny white spots on his clear fins, but I don't think so. I think it's just the texture of his fins.

Hmm what to do! :/
Old 08-24-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Athough, I've heard ich described as "grains of salt" on the body and fins. There's nothing on the body, just perhaps a few "bits" on his fins but they're certainly not as big as grains of salt...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

C. irritans has a stage of development: where they are not visible. you should maintain qt fo 5-6 weeks After there is no sign of infection.
And for a qt water with tds of 150 aren't that bad. But when salt is freshly mixed, it consumes alot of O2. Properly airting for 24 hrs is reccomended, which shouldn't be a problem, since I wouldn't reccomend more than 1 water change per day
Old 08-24-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I put him in my main tank and notice any signs of ich, can I transfer him straight to my QT and contain the ich within him, and not pass it onto my other fish?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com