OK - this is the problem.
My nitrites in my QT
(15gal) are quickly rising - at 0.5 at the mo
. I've done a 50% water change but they haven't gone down.
Since they've started going up my butterfly in my QT
hasn't been his usual self. He's stopped eating and is docile and not swimming about much. He was fine before this and swimming away, very active and eating well.
No other signs of problems with him.
I'm thinking about putting him in my main tank which has a ocellaris clown and banggai cardinal in it.
He's been in QT
for 10 days.
I know it's a risk - if it's a disease he's got he could pass it onto my other fish.
But, I don't want to lose my butterfly because of the problems I'm having getting the Nitrites down - just trying to make a decision on what to do, based on the potential problems and likeliness of being able to get rid of the ich from the main tank.
Do you think my clown, banggai and long-nosed butterfly could live fairly ok for 6 weeks in my QT
if the worst came to the worst? I'd have to do waterchanges every day I guess.
Don't know what to do :/
Should I do a fresh-water dip if I decide to put the butterfly in my main tank, to lessen the chances? If so, how exactly do I do it? Heater in the water? Just fresh water (RO
or tap?)? How long for? How can I tell if he's too stressed by it? Do I acclimate after the dip (ie. put him back into some QT
water then acclimate him?