Urgent Help Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Royal Gramma finally arrived today. I acclimated him to my QT (which has been up for many months now) for 2 hours, scooping a 1/4 cup of QT water into his bag every five minutes and dumping half the water every half hour or so. Then I netted him into the tank. He's been in there for about two hours now and he's lying on his side on the bottom, breathing heavy.

My Ammonia and Nitrites are at zero, I just checked.

What can I do to help him out?

TIA

Did it look in bad shape whilst still in the bag or only after you put it in the QT?

fishfreek said:
Whats your salinity and PH?
Big factor there but also how long did you float the bag in the QT before it was opened? Opening too soon before the temp has had time to come up slowly will cause a sharp increase in pH which can severely stress the fish.

Cheers
Steve

I agree with Steve about the temp thing. Especially with a fish that was shipped. There is no doubt a larger temp difference. What are all water parameters? Where did you buy the fish, do they offer a warrenty?

I just moved a royal Gramma from 1 QT to another QT and the temps, sg, ph, everything matched, even the temp was within .25 degrees, and the thing just liad on the bottom for 3 or 4 hours, the next morning he was fine. I think he was faking, 8O . I didn't notice any heavy breathing.

Salinity is 1.025 and pH is 8.2. I let the bag float for 20 min before I started adding water. There is a guarantee with the place rodered from, but I'd rather have a live fish!

He looks a little better now. Still labored breathing, but at least he's alive and upright. I even saw him nip at some food that floated by. I am optimistic for what the morning will bring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom