**URGENT** Water Temperature **URGENT**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TennisWildcat95

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently set up a 46 gallon Marine Reef Tank... I am running a Penn-Plax Cascade canister filter, a Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer, and 2 Maxi-Jet 900's. I was also running a 200 watt heater, set to 80 degrees when I first set the tank up(Saturday). When I got up I found the tank at 86 and rising so I unplugged it last night. The tank dropped to 81 this morning and it is now at 81.2. The lights are not running yet, but the light is this model Coralife Aqualight Double Linear Strip Compact Fluorescent Fixture, 2X96 Watt, 36 inch. My live rock arrives Thursday. I was wondering if the temperature is too high? If so what is the best way to bring the temperature down to the appropriate temperature without having to use a chiller? Any advice as soon as possible would be great. Thanks. I will be setting up a tank thread soon.

P.S. A lot of websites I see, say that the temp should be between 72 and 78 degrees. Is this true?

if you can keep it steady at 81 you'll be ok, but once you turn the lights on i fear it will increase. what do you think is causing the heat? is it hot where you are? near a heating vent or radiator perhaps?

I found that on the 125 I maintain that the Mag12 return pump, 2 koralia 2's and 1 koralia 3, the temp stays between 77 and 79 most days. When I was running the skimmer with a Mag 5 on it, the temp jumped to as high as 83 on a bad day and always hit 81. I discovered the difference when the Mag 5 threw a blade and it was off for several hours the tank temp dropped. I can imagine that with less than 1/2 the water and the pumps you have that your root issue is pump/power head heating.

Fortunately, this is pretty easily remedied by adding a fan that blows across the top of the tank and induces evaporative cooling. They make ones that clip on to the edge and create a constant air flow across the top of the tank (no lid, of course). This is probably what you will want once you add your light. But I'd go ahead an run the light on the planned cycle for a week and monitor your temp swings. It may not be that much of an issue.

My LFS says he keeps all his coral tanks at 76 and I shoot for under 80.

I found that on the 125 I maintain that the Mag12 return pump, 2 koralia 2's and 1 koralia 3, the temp stays between 77 and 79 most days. When I was running the skimmer with a Mag 5 on it, the temp jumped to as high as 83 on a bad day and always hit 81. I discovered the difference when the Mag 5 threw a blade and it was off for several hours the tank temp dropped. I can imagine that with less than 1/2 the water and the pumps you have that your root issue is pump/power head heating.

Fortunately, this is pretty easily remedied by adding a fan that blows across the top of the tank and induces evaporative cooling. They make ones that clip on to the edge and create a constant air flow across the top of the tank (no lid, of course). This is probably what you will want once you add your light. But I'd go ahead an run the light on the planned cycle for a week and monitor your temp swings. It may not be that much of an issue.

My LFS says he keeps all his coral tanks at 76 and I shoot for under 80.

Is it okay to add the live rock at this temperature? I will have the lights on starting tomorrow and will be monitoring them starting then.

Do you think it is the heater? that is over heating or a filter or something if it is the heater the thermometer is prob broken. I would suggest to gget a knew heater then. Trust me i have a heater that has a broken thermometer and it is very hard to maintain a stable temp. Especially with your new lights those will heat it up more.

Do you think it is the heater? that is over heating or a filter or something if it is the heater the thermometer is prob broken. I would suggest to gget a knew heater then. Trust me i have a heater that has a broken thermometer and it is very hard to maintain a stable temp. Especially with your new lights those will heat it up more.

I have already unplugged the heater (last night.) The house is around 77 at night and 80 during the day, so I hope it will drop some more tonight (to around78) and then rise during the day to around 81. I'm starting to run my lights tomorrow, so I will see where that leaves me at the end of the day.

you will want to keep the tank at a steady temp. stability makes for the best reef. once you get your heater dialed in (i'm betting that the thermometer is off a bit) you'll be wanting to keep the tank at 80 around the clock.

Thanks. The temp was 80.0 at 8 A.M. this morning it is now only 80.4. The temp did not rise much. I did not get the lights on times so I will have to get that done tonight and see how that effects the temperature tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom