Used a damsel to cycle my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
:( Im the one with 15 gallon saltwater tank and i had it from more than a month i did use a domino damsel for cycling but everything was fine but today i woke up and i found it dead :( i checked water and my results are ph 8.5 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 i added a black urchin and 2 crabs from 1 week ago it's possible that black urchin killed my domino damsel :(?

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Im the one with 15 gallon saltwater tank and i had it from more than a month i did use a domino damsel for cycling but everything was fine but today i woke up and i found it dead :( i checked water and my results are ph 8.5 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 i added a black urchin and 2 crabs from 1 week ago it's possible that black urchin killed my domino damsel :(?

Did you test for ammonia? What's your salinity?

I live in a country where everything sucks and poor :l i didn't find ammonia anywhere i did search all the good stores in lebanon my country but nothing :l in the mean time i need to stick up with my test kits nitrite nitrate and ph and phosphate :l

I really can't get ammonia i have 2 crabs now a 1 black urchin what i should i do i did water change this morning what i should do guys :(

You have to cycle the tank. Basically, the fish caused ammonia. It's dead now so the ammonia will lessen on it's own, BUT, this may happen again the next time you add a fish, or food for the urchin and crabs.
What I would do at this point is to add a product like Prime or Amquel to the tank. this will detoxify the ammonia, but not remove it. You see, you need the ammonia to cycle the tank correctly.

No. When the ammonia rose to a toxic level, the fish died, now you need to let it come down on it's own.

and what i should do now if i can't get ammonia test kit?

How can you not get an ammonia test kit? It's the most important test kit of all. Can you find one on line?
If you can't get a kit, then just wait and keep testing for nitrite. When nitrite rises then zeros out, you can do a water change and the tank should be cycled.

I tested the water yesterday and my nitrite are 0 i tested water today still my nitrite are 0? i really don't get it it been testing for a while and all the time my nitrite was 0 my results today was like that ph 8.5 nitrite 0 and nitrate 10 but then i did a water a change and i think my nitrate should fall down im really feeling like a noob and i got confused at anything :huh: so excuse me :c

Oh i get it you mean when ammonia get to the toxic level? nitrite gonna rise and it's gonna fall down? and then i will do a water change and then im done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, when nitrites zero out and nitrates are left, then do your water change and you should be cycled. I'm assuming the ammonia level was pretty high to kill the damsel, so you should be ok.

Just a little question? I did a water change this morning could this disturb the cycle?

It will slow it down. Dont do anything till you you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Then do a 33% pwc.

Dont worry about it now. Just wait till all 0's and then do a pwc to alleviate nitrates.

Okay, but like i said i can't get ammonia now im gonna order it and it's gonna take a while so now im gonna stick up with my test kits so im gonna see now nitrite rising and then it's gonna fall to 0 and some nitrate gonna left and i will do a water change to clear them.

Back
Top Bottom