Used acrylic tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morangus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have an opportunity to purchase a 120 gallon external coast to coast overflow acrylic tank with no scratches. I'm curious to know what I should be looking for to ensure the tank is worth picking up and I'm not getting a raw deal. Should I have them fill it up or leave it empty? This is my first used purchase so I'm not that familiar with what I should be looking for / inspecting. This is a naga tank.

Picked up the tank today... Here's a picture...

image-1611857566.jpg

I have a question... At the top of the overflow there are no teeth to prevent fish and critters from getting into the overflow. Any information on how to add teeth for this purpose ?

I would first contact the seller and find out how they had it set up. Then research online for ideas if not given a solid answer from the seller

Picked up the tank today... Here's a picture...

View attachment 202279

I have a question... At the top of the overflow there are no teeth to prevent fish and critters from getting into the overflow. Any information on how to add teeth for this purpose ?
You could find a piece of acrylic and cut your own teeth in it and simply glue it on. I would not cut teeth in the existing tank. It will lower the water level a bit. What kind of clearance do you have once filled?

I'm not sure yet, I haven't added water to the top of it yet. Probably sometime this coming week I'll do that. I was thinking of gluing in egg crate to fill in the gap between the top of the overflow wall and the top of the tank.

Ok I was working on cleaning the tank tonight and something I noticed that I'm wondering if I should be concerned with is on the side of the tank (same side showing in picture) there is perm distortion in the side panel that you can see and feel when you run your hand across the side from top to bottom. It runs from the back to the front of the tank near. Where on the side panel? Around the bottom of the overflow forward. Is this normal for acrylic? Something to be concerned with?

Got the majority of the coralline off the front of the display with vinegar and some elbow grease and a old credit card! Looking very nice! Just finishing up the overflow.

I have a question... What could I use on the outside to remove old sticky pieces where they attached wire holders? I want to remove them as I think they're ugly and I'm not sure if I'll need them going forward. Thoughts?

Jason

Attachments

• image-391329770.jpg
    image-391329770.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2177753635.jpg
    image-2177753635.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 98
Thanks I'll give the paint thinner a go... Next question... RO/DI units from BRS... The 5 stage 75gpd at $199 or the 5 stage 150gpd for $60 more? Just curious on thoughts...

Try oil first. Paint thinner will eat through plastic(acrylic).

Good to know! Thanks! I'll have to run down to the store.

Water pumped in for leak test! Looking good so far! I was going to buff the inside and outside but I'm debating if I even need to...

Attachments

• image-3589572743.jpg
    image-3589572743.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1511107745.jpg
    image-1511107745.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 67
Subscribed to the upcoming BRS group buy... Still looking for advice on the 5 stage vs 5 stage deluxe and whether the $$ is worth it for the deluxe ro/di unit? Second question... I need bulkheads for the overflow. I measured the holes and the drains are measuring 2.5" in diameter and the return is measuring 1.5" in diameter. Could anyone assist with which bulkheads would be best from BRS? Are the threaded better then the slip on?

Get yourself the 5 stage plus. It comes with a TDS meter and a flush valve. Much more important than the 150gpd add on. you really only need the 150gpd add on if you need a lot more water on demand. Either way, but a float valve for whatever container you end up using (Brute trashcans work well here). Float valve is a must ime.

Thanks for the reply! Are the float valves pretty much all the same?

Thanks for the reply! Are the float valves pretty much all the same?

Yes and no. Depending on the system you end up getting, it may or may not include an auto shut off valve. This is required to handle the back pressure from the float valve itself. If the rodi system you get, does include an auto shut off valve, all you will need is the float valve itself.

This is why i recommended the 5 stage plus as it comes with an autoshut off valve. If you go this route, you will only need the float valve:

Reverse Osmosis Float Valve - Bulk Reef Supply

and not the entire kit which includes the auto shut off valve:

Auto Shut Off Kit for Reverse Osmosis Systems - Bulk Reef Supply

Back
Top Bottom