Originally Posted by xxwolfpackof1xx
perfectly fine but your "live" sand is more than likly dead because it's been sitting on a shelf for months with no food source for the bacteria if you didn't alredy buy it try to buy pfs or dry arognite sand
edit: i read the title fast youl be better off buying new sand nasties in the sand can get stirred up and cause all kinds of problems
die of causes ammonia so the die off of bacteria ill be a food source for the live bacteria.
either way its not hard to rinse off the sand, it may be frowned on but if you're going to start a new tank and have to cycle it all then whats the harm in having detritus in there, it will eventually be broken down into organics which will help feed ammonia for a cycle, so why exactly do you guys think its so bad? i would just buy new sand but still if someone is strapped for cash, it won't exactly be the worse thing someone could do