used live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi is it alright to use, used live sand to new tank?

perfectly fine but your "live" sand is more than likly dead because it's been sitting on a shelf for months with no food source for the bacteria if you didn't alredy buy it try to buy pfs or dry arognite sand

edit: i read the title fast youl be better off buying new sand nasties in the sand can get stirred up and cause all kinds of problems

I would always start with new sand. Used sand is loaded with detritus that can cause spikes in your parameters.

I would always start with new sand. Used sand is loaded with detritus that can cause spikes in your parameters.

Exactly so, if you're wanting to use it to cycle it'd be better off getting live rock, there's not much beneficial bacteria in the sand.

I have 40 ibs in a tank right now and 60 ibs in a container in a bucket down stairs it don't really care if it's dead more important if it's safe I would buy all new live sand if it wasn't for the money factor right now

couldnt the sand just be rinsed out? if you cant afford to get anymore sand that is

He certainly could rinse and dry it, but I was assuming he meant grabbing it out of a tank and putting directly into his.

If you go the rinse and dry route make sure you rinse it out good and well

Is there a big differnce in price because i saw live sand $30 for only 20 ibs no way I'm going to pay that for sand lol

perfectly fine but your "live" sand is more than likly dead because it's been sitting on a shelf for months with no food source for the bacteria if you didn't alredy buy it try to buy pfs or dry arognite sand

edit: i read the title fast youl be better off buying new sand nasties in the sand can get stirred up and cause all kinds of problems

die of causes ammonia so the die off of bacteria ill be a food source for the live bacteria.

either way its not hard to rinse off the sand, it may be frowned on but if you're going to start a new tank and have to cycle it all then whats the harm in having detritus in there, it will eventually be broken down into organics which will help feed ammonia for a cycle, so why exactly do you guys think its so bad? i would just buy new sand but still if someone is strapped for cash, it won't exactly be the worse thing someone could do

Is there a big differnce in price because i saw live sand $30 for only 20 ibs no way I'm going to pay that for sand lol

you could get dry argonite sand its alot cheaper then live sand and will eventually become live

Ya I was now thinking of get 60 ibs of new dry sand and seeding it with my 40 ibs of live sand or just buy all new 80-100 ibs of dry sand?

Ok thxs so would 80 or 100 ibs be enough for a 72 gallon

it all depends how deep you want to go with the sand and depends on the surface area based on that depth

He didn't state money was an issue, he asked about using "used" sand. Everyone was just making the point it isn't optimal, however, it is possible. I would rinse it extremely well before putting it in the new system. Ideally, using dry aragonite would be great. It is relatively cheap, and no worries.

Thxs everyone I'm kinda confused but I think ill be all right I'll check the price the sand at my local fish store if it's not to much ill get it if not I might have to use the used sand

Sorry I cleared up on what I was confused on I missed one of the post about the used sand having lost of bacteria

Back
Top Bottom