Used Sand Turning Black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think SW and FW have the same concept when it comes to LS in a DSB. If it's bad I should of had issues already with dead fish and dead Corals. Knock on Wood. But I have not lost anything yet. Knock on wood again... I have heard numerous things about the issues I have an it is mostly good... DSB are great for SW tanks especially helping with keeping Nitrates down. I am all for keeping Nitrates down especially with the heavy feedings I sometimes do.

A DSB(deep sand bed) is used in a SW tank to reduce nitrates down to Nitrogen. Like Mike said, the lower layer of sand is depleted of oxygen and harbor anaerobic bacteria that feed on nitrates and reduces them to Nitrogen which bubbles out of the AQ back into the air. There are problems with this and it's not advised that you stir or disrupt it. Some snails, starfish and gobies tend to stir the sand bed to prevent dead spots which appear as Black spots.
Wow, that was a mouthful!
img_1000624_0_776d398f44ac2a0e522861a5d25e29be.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom