Used tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 55g tank that was used for freshwater as a fowlr. I have cleaned the tank and canister filters since I cannot reuse the bb. I would like to keep the sand for the fowlr setup. Can I keep it or so I need live sand? If I can keep it, is there any thing I need to do to remove any contaminates from the previous setup? The tank is currently empty and I am letting the sand dry.

I'm waiting on getting an ro/di unit before I start to set it up.

Thanks.

Where are you located? I am on the hunt for a 55g, I am willing to pay shipping, I don't have a lot of money for the tank if I pay shipping, though, but you can have your sand and any salt water equipment.

Personally I would toss the old gravel on cause u don't now if they dosed the tank with medication that would be harmful to your new setup. Sand is pretty cheep you can pick up a 40lb bag for $20-25 ..just my .02

I used the live sand in my tank and liked it. Others will tell you that live sand is really not "live" because anything that was alive in it, died while sitting on a shelf. IMO i'd use the live sand still.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will reuse the sand in another fresh tank I am setting up and get new sand for this saltwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom