Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-08-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to sdveirs Send a message via MSN to sdveirs Send a message via Yahoo to sdveirs
Used tanks

Would you buy a used tank?

I want to get a 40-50 gallon tank as my starter tank but not sure that buying a brand new one is my best bet. Is there a general number for a used tank?

$5/per gallon? $10?

Is this to low to expect? I am looking on craigslist.org and there are some stand alone tanks and some full setups.

Any input?

29 gallon bow front - Just plants, currently cycling.

10 Gallon w/ 1 male betta and alge eater (not sure what kind), looking for something to add with the betta.

Scott's Blog
sdveirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Depending on age and condition I see no reason not to buy a used tank. I would think that 50% of a new tank or less would be about right, again depending on age and condition.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, for a used tank I saw one in the paper that was $399 for a 65g with stand and hood, wet dry and sump...hmm can't remember all the details. But if you go used, ask questions! Ask to see if copper was used in the tank, you do not want a tank that used this in the system. I bought mine used for 500. It came with the stand, a few simple lights, about 60-70 lb's of live rock and sand. I saw it up and running with fish in it. I LOVE my tank and it was the best purchase I ever made.
Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would ask them to fill it with water to make sure there are no leaks as well.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Also...one thing to consider is if the previous owner ever used copper medications in the tank. It's my understanding that it can collect in the silicone sealant and leech back into the system. It will also need a thorough cleaning a rinsing before put to use to remove any undesirables organisisms like ick.
fireman26m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
copper in the silicone

i was also told by my LFS that if copper is ever used in a tank the silicone absorbs it. the copper is then slowly rleased over a period of 8-10 years.

i don't know if this is true but i was told that you can tell if copper has been used because it turns the silicone a slightly blue colour?? is this true??

the benwfits of buying used are obvious but it appears to me that there are some serious down sides. imagine spending months setting up your system only to find that there is copper being released into the water and you can't grow corals!!

does anyone know of a test that can be done on water to check if there is any copper, this way you could check a tank before you put it to use.

thepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
There are test kits for copper.

Thank you in advance.
bluejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com