Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Using a shrimp for Cycle

Im currently using LR to cycle tank. Is it a good idea to through a raw shrimp in as well or is that overkill?

Old 01-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You need something to decay and make ammonia. You also need a little nutrients in the water. I did the shrimp.
There is also an article here about fishless cycle. It's really good. I did that after the shrimp totally dissolved to finish up my cycle. If you do the fishless, you need to add a pinch of food every week or so I think it was.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

doesnt LR have die off to use for the ammonia?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

You want the ammonia to be around 3-5ppm. If the die off is getting you there then no need to add anything. If it's too low then you can something to bump it up. Pure ammonia would be best because you can be precise in the dosing. Otherwise, a RAW shrimp will work just fine though it might be a little stinky after a few days.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Otherwise, a RAW shrimp will work just fine though it might be a little stinky after a few days.
LOL - I cycled my tank with LR and a shrimp. It didn't smell at all! Oh, and if you do put a shrimp in there, don't pick the biggest one - if you do you may end up taking it out because your tank will be cycled before that thing is gone and, well, at that point it will smell terribly once you get it out of the water (speaking from personal experience )
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used 3 shrimp in my 120 gallon. They completely disappeared in about 4 weeks and the tank still wasn't completely cycled by then with 20# of LR and 80# of ls. So i switched to the fish less cycle method.
Problem was I GROSSLY over estimated how much ammonia should be used. I couldn't find any info on it in the article, so i guessed. I figured 120 gallons, 2 cups would be like a drop. Boy was I wrong.
My API kit turned blue!!
Long story short, don't even use a cup of ammonia.

Tags
cycle, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com