Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using Ammonia to jump start cycle.

I picked up 10% ammonium hydroxide from Ace tonight. Is that suitable to jump start my cycle? Also, how much would be the right dose in a 45 gal tank. Are we talking a couple drops, a cap full, several cap fulls, teaspoon, tablespoon or cup?? LOL I am assuming we are in the cap full range correct?

35 Gal tank with about 20 Lbs of LR and 10 Lbs of base rock on top of two bags of LS.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used 5ml on my 55 gallon to bring me to 4 ppm. There is a guide linked in my signature if you haven't already read it...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
I used 5ml on my 55 gallon to bring me to 4 ppm. There is a guide linked in my signature if you haven't already read it...
Thank you, I will check it out.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Post #43 in this thread explains how to calculate the amount of ammonia needed for your tank

My first SW Tank
Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry405 View Post
Post #43 in this thread explains how to calculate the amount of ammonia needed for your tank

My first SW Tank
Thanks Henry. I will check it out. I appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just did the math and something isn't right here. 45 gal tank using 10% ammonia should be 2.89 PPM per tsp. Before I got your post I added two cap fulls (small cap) then checked it a couple hours later. It was off the chart. I suspect that what I added amounted to 1 or 1.5 tsp and I started at .25. Seems like it should have only brought me up to around 4.585 ppm give or take.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

there are several things that can explain this such as the cap being more than 1-1.5 tsp. Also, you might have other ammonia sources in the tank such as die off from your rocks. If its high, I would just leave it alone and let itself equal out. Watch your nitrates though. When I did this I ignored my nitrates for awhile and it was over 160ppm
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99
Just did the math and something isn't right here. 45 gal tank using 10% ammonia should be 2.89 PPM per tsp. Before I got your post I added two cap fulls (small cap) then checked it a couple hours later. It was off the chart. I suspect that what I added amounted to 1 or 1.5 tsp and I started at .25. Seems like it should have only brought me up to around 4.585 ppm give or take.
You can always do a pwc. Let me tell you how ignorant I was. I thought my test kit gave me a fwofer. I neglected to add the second part if the test. So I added more ammonia two or 3 times. When I realized th error of my ways, I probally had 60 ppm, of course I couldn't measure that, just guessing. I did a whole bunch of 100 percent water changes. Then I got a liquid tylenol cup and dosed 1 ml at a time until I had 4 ppm... at least no fish were hurt during the education of me....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow. Glad I didn't go through that. I am about to post tonights results and I think I am in fat city here.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct me if I am wrong….

Set up my tank three weeks ago with live sand, installed live rock 2-1/2 weeks ago. Readings have been consistent ever since. Temp 79, Salinity 1.024 to 1.0245, Ph mostly around 8 (dropped a time or two), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0.

Last night I added two cap fulls of ammonia; a couple hours later it was off the chart. Tonight’s readings, Temp 79, Salinity 1.0245, Ph mostly around 7.8, Ammonia 8, Nitrite 50 and Nitrate 10.

Here is my assumption, would love your opinions. I assume that the Live Rock I bought was very well cured (the tank had fish in it if I remember right). Because of the live rock and live sand, I never entered a cycle because I already had a good colony living in the rock and sand. Hence, I never saw ammonia spike. With no ammonia in the tank, nitrite and nitrate never showed anything. As soon as I added some ammonia the existing colony went to work and that is why I am getting the readings I am. Think that is correct?

The tank is a 35 gal with a canister filter and two power heads. Side note, a LFS told me today that the Diatom only shows up at the end of the cycle and the fact I had it more than a week ago and it is gone now is another indication my tank didn’t need to cycle. Good advice or bad? I am trying to find an LFS I trust. I didn’t think I trusted this guy but now I am wondering if he was right on the money?

Tags
ammonia, cycle, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com