Using Ammonia to jump start cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up 10% ammonium hydroxide from Ace tonight. Is that suitable to jump start my cycle? Also, how much would be the right dose in a 45 gal tank. Are we talking a couple drops, a cap full, several cap fulls, teaspoon, tablespoon or cup?? LOL I am assuming we are in the cap full range correct?

35 Gal tank with about 20 Lbs of LR and 10 Lbs of base rock on top of two bags of LS.

I used 5ml on my 55 gallon to bring me to 4 ppm. There is a guide linked in my signature if you haven't already read it...

Just did the math and something isn't right here. 45 gal tank using 10% ammonia should be 2.89 PPM per tsp. Before I got your post I added two cap fulls (small cap) then checked it a couple hours later. It was off the chart. I suspect that what I added amounted to 1 or 1.5 tsp and I started at .25. Seems like it should have only brought me up to around 4.585 ppm give or take.

there are several things that can explain this such as the cap being more than 1-1.5 tsp. Also, you might have other ammonia sources in the tank such as die off from your rocks. If its high, I would just leave it alone and let itself equal out. Watch your nitrates though. When I did this I ignored my nitrates for awhile and it was over 160ppm

rdnelson99 said:
Just did the math and something isn't right here. 45 gal tank using 10% ammonia should be 2.89 PPM per tsp. Before I got your post I added two cap fulls (small cap) then checked it a couple hours later. It was off the chart. I suspect that what I added amounted to 1 or 1.5 tsp and I started at .25. Seems like it should have only brought me up to around 4.585 ppm give or take.

You can always do a pwc. Let me tell you how ignorant I was. I thought my test kit gave me a fwofer. I neglected to add the second part if the test. So I added more ammonia two or 3 times. When I realized th error of my ways, I probally had 60 ppm, of course I couldn't measure that, just guessing. I did a whole bunch of 100 percent water changes. Then I got a liquid tylenol cup and dosed 1 ml at a time until I had 4 ppm... at least no fish were hurt during the education of me....

Wow. Glad I didn't go through that. I am about to post tonights results and I think I am in fat city here.

Correct me if I am wrong….

Set up my tank three weeks ago with live sand, installed live rock 2-1/2 weeks ago. Readings have been consistent ever since. Temp 79, Salinity 1.024 to 1.0245, Ph mostly around 8 (dropped a time or two), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0.

Last night I added two cap fulls of ammonia; a couple hours later it was off the chart. Tonight’s readings, Temp 79, Salinity 1.0245, Ph mostly around 7.8, Ammonia 8, Nitrite 50 and Nitrate 10.

Here is my assumption, would love your opinions. I assume that the Live Rock I bought was very well cured (the tank had fish in it if I remember right). Because of the live rock and live sand, I never entered a cycle because I already had a good colony living in the rock and sand. Hence, I never saw ammonia spike. With no ammonia in the tank, nitrite and nitrate never showed anything. As soon as I added some ammonia the existing colony went to work and that is why I am getting the readings I am. Think that is correct?

The tank is a 35 gal with a canister filter and two power heads. Side note, a LFS told me today that the Diatom only shows up at the end of the cycle and the fact I had it more than a week ago and it is gone now is another indication my tank didn’t need to cycle. Good advice or bad? I am trying to find an LFS I trust. I didn’t think I trusted this guy but now I am wondering if he was right on the money?

Back
Top Bottom