Using Canister filter with Drilled Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gordemer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am not a newbie to Salwalter, Have 2 FOWLR 55 gallon tanks, both with Canister filters. (let not get into the canister vs wet dry discussion here). Anyway I am upgrading to a 75 drilled tank, I still want to use my canister filter on it, what are some suggestions on how to do that.

I want to take advantage of a sump to put the protein skimmer, heater, etc in. Obviously I can't feed the canistor from the sump, but I want to find a way to not have the canister input hose showing in the main tank.

Suggestions anyone....

gordemer said:
Obviously I can't feed the canister from the sump
You could run it empty (to keep waste from building up) and run the intake into the sump and the output into the tank without issues IMO.

The only problem is if it’s a HOB canister then you will have a reduced output into the tank since it will have 4+ feet of head pressure against it. If it’s an under the stand kind of canister then it’s going to perform the same either way.

Unless you just want to use the canister for extra water movement I’d have to agree with the others that it’s kind of pointless and just using the sump for media storage would be best.

I want the canister for the water flow (it puts out a lot more than most power heads), plus a place for carbon and phosphate remover,etc.

Its a fluval 404 under the stand now. I was alsot figuring that could be my pump back to the tank since it so powerful.

Your Fluval 404 does 340 GPH which is about a 5 times turn over per hour on your 75 gal tank. You will still need either a ph in the tank or a pump in the sump to get it to 1000-1500 GPH for adequate flow. The Mag 9.5 would be a good pump to use in the sump. I’d T it off to output on opposite sides of the tank and have the output of the Fluval in the middle personally.

just a sugustion use ball valves or know the size of your bulkhead and the maxium volume of water your balkhead can handle. i doubt a regular reef ready 75gal can handle a mag9.5 even with head height just a thought though. good luck

Back
Top Bottom