Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-18-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Using Local Lava Rock

I was wondering if I could use some locally gathered lava rock (in my fish only tank) with some live rock that I purchased. The goal is to get the stuff growing/living on the live rock to spread over to the lava rock. I have been given mixed advice on this. One person says it is fine and a good, inexpensive way to get lots of live rock and another says the lava will have lots of heavy metals that will harm the fish. Any suggestions? Thanks

Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
says the lava will have lots of heavy metals that will harm the fish
I agree with this statement to an extent. I think Lava Rock can contain many elements and minerals that can adversly effect the inhabitants of your tank and your water chemistry. The keyword is "can", I have seen it used many times with no problems and just as many times with disaster, it's hit or miss IMO.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com