Using old filter? Need advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in the beginning stages of a 15 gallon (24"x12"x12") nano reef. I have the tank, some sand, and all the LR I will need already, as well as a 24" 65W Satellite fixture. I need your advice about using an old filter that was given to me. It will save me a bit of money if I can use it, but if it will be detrimental to do so, then I would much rather get a new filter, or just some powerheads. It's an Aquaclear 300 (old model of the 70), and it was previously used for FW. The problem is, I don't know if the tank it was used in was ever medicated. I've been told that this is a big deal if you are using an old tank, as the medications can leech out of the seals and harm inverts. But is it the same deal for a plastic filter, or can I soak it in some hot water, clean it up really well, and use it? I just want it to put LR rubble into- I can't do the fuge mod because the tank will be on my bedroom dresser and the light will bother us at night.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this! 8)

I us a square bucket to clean my aquaclears periodically. If it were me, I would set this one up to run on a bucket or similar container and let it run in a solution of pure white vinegar, or up to a 50% mix with water. Let it run for a couple of days, then rinse it well and it will be fine.

Thanks Hara. That's a great idea. I don't have a square bucket, do you know where I could get one?

I have bunches of old kitty litter 4 gallon buckets, but what you might try is getting a cheap sterlite square box at walmart. Go to the aisle they sell all kinds of sweater boxes etc, and I bet you can find one for a couple bucks.

Oh yeah, great idea again. I didn't even think about that. I'll have to pick one up. Thanks!

Just making sure here, you don't think that any meds that may have possibly been used in the previous owner's tank (not sure if there were any) will affect the Aquaclear, or somehow leech into the plastic? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I want to do this right the first time. :)

I second the motion about using vinegar. It will do a great job cleaning the filter.

I do not think there would be any residue of any kind left that would be harmful.

Thanks again you two, I'll work on getting a square container, and be prepared for another photo journal, lol!!!

Hara, what is that stuff you talked about in a post that helps to remove copper?

Cool, thanks, that has been bugging me sincce you last posted it and I didn't write it down.

Back
Top Bottom