using seed from established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaioa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I set up my new 90 litre tank with substrate, gravel and plants just 2 weeks ago. Used nutrafin aqua plus and nutrafin cycle, but then discovered this site and think might be better not to use the nutrafin cycle. I tried to get ammonia, but can't find it anywhere so have sent away for it. In meantime I have started to try the fish food way of cycling my tank. Last night I got bacteria seed from an established healthy tank. He squeezed the sponge from his filter and I put this into my filter. Can you tell me if this will work, will fish food keep the bacteria alive and should I still add the ammonia when I get it. I am an absolute beginner so any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have always wanted to have a tropical fish tank but I don't want to cause any uneccessary suffering to the fish. I am also using plant food once a week.

You can always just pop a piece of shrimp in their that is tied down to rock or some anchor to cycle. I used live rock. In the past I too used bacteria from established tanks and no harm was done and it sped things up.

Your friends sponge should've helped with your cycle a lot. It's almost like an instant cycle. You need to get a liquid test kit and test your water parameters.

Thanks for your help james77. I have sent for an API complete liquid test kit as I couldn't get one in any of my local shops,and am just waiting on it being delivered. I have some tetra test strips but don't think they are very accurate, so just want to make sure everything is ticking over nicely. Didn't know if the bacteria from friends aquarium would die if I didn't feed it with ammonia.

It should Work fine. I seeded my 55 from the filter cartridges from my 20 worked great for me.

Back
Top Bottom