Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

using Spring water

I have a 12gal reef. Can I safely use Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water as top off. It's a little late, I have been using this for 6 mos now and haven't seen any problems, but not sure of long term affects.

Old 02-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Cant be any worse than tapwater. Well acutally...

I belive I saw a consumer reports show on one of those investigative reporting shows where they talked about how some bottled water brands had alot more 'stuff' in the water than the average tap water.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would see about getting a water quality report from the company listing exactly what is in their water and in what amounts. Even if there is no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, there could be heavy metals or other undesirable compounds that you don't want in your tank.

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I love the bottled water ingredants that say "Minerals added for flavor".

HAHA. Pure water has no flavor. So even their pure water has to have stuff added back or people wont like it cause it doent have a taste.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wont be using Arrowhead anymore!

here's the report. Has some sort of bacteria

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/appa.asp
Old 02-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know about everyone else, but my browser freezes every time I try to go to that link...

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I looked up this site at work with a T-1 and the same happened to me a few times. I waited a few mintues, and the info finally came up. It's a National Resource Defense Council site. Here is the home page. Worth the trouble, may make you think twice about that Evian.
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/bwinx.asp
Old 02-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
FWIW I used to sell botteled water and the Evian has the highest TDS of all the bottled waters.

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com