Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Uv light and skimmer for biocube 29

Hey guys just wondering if I should invest in a protein skimmer and uv light for my biocube? Any and all info is welcome. Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Personally I would pass on both. It's still up in the air as to whether a UV is needed and the skimmers for the bio cube arent that great. You can keep a great tank bu just doing weekly water changes instead. Thats how I do it with my biocube.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome carey! Youre the bomb! Lol thankyou for always being so helpful! I am up in air with the skimmer tho, just to be on the up and up. This tank makes me nervous
Old 11-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I get a different skimmer just to be safe?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There are some that will also fit in the cube I think, just not remembering which ones....the bio cube skimmer was dismal at best, I bought the skimmer to try it out and it stunk. LOL But maybe an aquaticlife or tunze will fit, they are better skimmers than the oceanic one.

Are you planning a reef tank or just fish? Do you have any issues that make you want a skimmer? How often/big are your water changes?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
There are some that will also fit in the cube I think, just not remembering which ones....the bio cube skimmer was dismal at best, I bought the skimmer to try it out and it stunk. LOL But maybe an aquaticlife or tunze will fit, they are better skimmers than the oceanic one.

Are you planning a reef tank or just fish? Do you have any issues that make you want a skimmer? How often/big are your water changes?
Im planning on getting some coral and whatever I think I can keep healthy and happy. No real issues just a beginning algae bloom(the brown diatom?), but my cuc cleans that everynight. I like to feed them, cuz im always worried about the jawfish has moved to the back corner, and im nervous that he doesnt get to eat. And I figure the extra food gets eaten by the cuc anyhow? My water changes are about 3-6 gallons every two weeks
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do your nitrates run high with that much feeding? I overfeed my cube cause of the fish I keep as well, the mandarin and scooter I need to keep fed.

Keep in mind anything you add to the tank is IN the tank until you take it out. If the cuc eats it then theres their bioload to consider. The food goes in the tank in one form and may take on another form but it's still in your tank.

I do 3g a week in my cube and tend to run nitrtaes at about 10 which is the highest any of my run. I also have a fuge in the back compartment and chemi pure elite running in media trays and I still have a small battle with hair algae. How long has the tank been up and running?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahhhh! Never thought of that! My tank has been up and running for a while now, without fish a couple of months, with fish since the 28th of october. My nitrates have been low. I too have the chemipure and purigen. I believe the setup mirrors yours. I followed the intank media baskets instructions of what to put in there. I did my last water change about a week and a half ago...now I am kinda wondering if I should do another small one. What are your thoughts on the powerheads?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I run a koralia 425 nano power head and all is well as far as circulation. Two would probably be overkill. Just a matter of getting a good angle with it.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I too have the Koralia nano 425 but I'm having a hard time getting a good place set. I have this dead spot that is driving me crazy !! 

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, light, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com