UV lighting..good for getting rid of ich & keeping it aw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigger

Aquarium Advice Regular
The LFS told me that he uses UV lighting in his tanks to help get rid of ich. Is this true? I have a 55 gal and a 10 gal Q tank.

We are having an ich outbreak that I'm sure I got from the other LFS. All 7 fish have ich. I thought this was too many fish to move to the Q tank (10 gal). So I removed the starfish & snail to the Q tank. I realize that since I have treated the main tank with copper, I can never put the inverts back in. The guy at the LFS also claims there is a product that will remove all of the copper from the tank after we are finished treating for ich (is this true?). I don't want to put the inverts back in unless someone that knows what they are doing (on this site) tells me it is o.k.

If I cannot put the inverts back in.....I'll probably get another aquarium, so that the star & snail won't live in the 10 gal forever.

This hobby is REALLY expensive. Your advice is truly appreciated!

Natalie

The LFS told me that he uses UV lighting in his tanks to help get rid of ich. Is this true?

Does he have a UV attatched to his system?? If not, then it's a lie, if so, then it's true. However, UV will not get rid of ick, it will reduce it's numbers in the free swimming stage, if UV is employed properly.

Re: UV lighting..good for getting rid of ich & keeping i

tigger said:
The guy at the LFS also claims there is a product that will remove all of the copper from the tank after we are finished treating for ich (is this true?). I don't want to put the inverts back in unless someone that knows what they are doing (on this site) tells me it is o.k.

If I cannot put the inverts back in.....I'll probably get another aquarium, so that the star & snail won't live in the 10 gal forever.

This hobby is REALLY expensive. Your advice is truly appreciated!

Natalie

When I knew even less than I do now I treated my 110G w/ copper. I spend about $60 on carbon and a ton of poly-pads to remove the copper. My snails/crabs/starfish/cucumber have been doing fine every since. I know a lot of people say it get's in your tank sealant, rocks, substrate etc... but I must have gotten most of it out because I haven't had any problems so far which has been about six weeks.

However with my recent outbreak of ICK I bought a 44 gallon tank and move all the fish there to treat with copper and let my 110G sit fishless for 4 weeks until the ICK dies off.

Back
Top Bottom