UV Steralizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baycity20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am interested in getting a 7 watt Submariner from JBJ lighting. I was wondering if it is worth the 80 dollars. I have a 55 gallon tank and have had a few fish die from ich :( Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO AA!!!!

A UV will not kill all of the parasites. You will need to QT the fish and do either hyposalinity or copper to treat the ich, and leave the tank fishless for 8 weeks to kill off the ich. I would also suggest soaking their frozen in garlic guard to help boost their immune systems. I would also suggest you QT all new fish before adding them to your main tank.

I do have a UV sterilizer and think they do benefit the SW tank IMO. But as Scott said they only kill the parasites that are free floating and travel through the lighted chamber. To really get rid of the parasite completely you`ll need to QT your fish and treat and keep the main tank fishless for 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite.

I agree with melosu58 and roka64, but I have to tell you my story. I have the 5 watt Submariner that I was using in a 40 gal fancy goldfish tank. I have a 30 gal fowlr tank and I noticed my 2 clown fish had something that looked like ich. I put the submariner in the tank to see if it would help. Within two days it was gone. I can't say for sure it was ich, but I know it helped. You just have to keep the filter pad on the submariner clean and change the uv when needed. QT tank and leaving the tank fishless for 8 weeks is the right thing to do. I just plan on keeping a uv sterilizer too. I think it's worth the money, but that is just my opinion. You still need to do water changes and use a protein skimmer. I hope I didn't confuse you.

I agree with melosu58 and roka64 too. A UV will kill free swimming/floating parasites, algae, AND bacteria. That includes the beneficial bacteria. Most bacteria is not in the water column, but attached to rock, sand, any porous surface it can colonize. The UV bulb should be replaced every 6 months and is another piece of equipment that requires periodic maintenance.

Please take care of the ich problem in a QT tank first.

In agreeance with all the others, a UV light is a great preventative resource to keep parasites down. Do you NEED it? well that is debatable. From what I have studied, all aquariums, even the major ones such as Sea World and such have ICH and other nasty buggers present at all times. The main thing to keep in mind is good aquarium husbandry. Making sure that the stress level of the tank is down to bare minimums is always the best precaution. Just because your fish do not show signs of ICH, doesn't mean it is not there. Many fish are very healthy and can fight off the bacteria without the owner not ever seeing signs. Without babbling too much more, The UV is helpful, as is OZONATORS, water changes and the good old fashioned tender loving care. When the fish get sick, put them in the hopital. Leave the tank fallow for 6 to 8 weeks and then re-introduce them to there home in the glass ocean in your living room...:)

Getting a UV IMO will not help your problem.. If alot of your fish are dying you have other issues. How do you acclimate the fish? Do you inspect the fish at the LFS before buying it? What are you water parameters? Nitrate levels high?
Anything that brings on stress leaves the fish open for ich.
UV can help long term but only if you run it correctly. It needs it own pump and you need to run it at the GPH rated for that light to be effective. And only ich that swim through the light will get killed. So if it stays in the sand bed or lr it will not get killed. So what I'm saying is a UV is not the total answer to your problems.

timbo2 said:
From what I have studied, all aquariums, even the major ones such as Sea World and such have ICH and other nasty buggers present at all times. The main thing to keep in mind is good aquarium husbandry. Making sure that the stress level of the tank is down to bare minimums is always the best precaution.
Very good point. FWIW I don't use a UV and I QT ALL my fish, and have never had a problem w/ ich or anything else in my main, until a few months ago. When I added a pair of Occ clowns, the smaller was relentlessly harassed. During this time it stopped eating, and developed ich. No other fish in the tank ever did or have since. After soaking foods in selcon, target feeding, and a hierarchy was established between the clowns meaning no more harassment, the ich went away and has never returned. The clowns never showed any signs of ich/illness during a 5 week QT prior to going in my main.
Regardless, I agree w/ everyone else. If you have a break out, removal and treatment in QT is best. If you've had issues w/ ich in the past, a UV may provide some insurance. Always QT new additions for 4-6 weeks before adding them to the main.

Back
Top Bottom